Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal Card Interpretaion

tannie

without seeing the MIC its probably a reference to a medal roll

Can anyone enlighten me as to what 0/2104B26 could mean. My grandfather Pte.Wm.Dawes W.Yorks reg

It's the Army Medal Office reference to your man's entry in the West Yorkshire Regiment Medal Roll. This reference (plus the additional page number that appears after it) can be translated into the relevant WO329/xxxx Medal Roll entry at the NA, Kew. The amount of detail recorded on the Medal Rolls varies between units but his entry may give you additional details as to your grandfather's service such as battalion, dates served overseas etc.

Unfortunately this cannot be done online and will require somebody, either yourself or someone on your behalf, doing this at Kew.

Hope this helps.

Steve

It's the Army Medal Office reference to your man's entry in the West Yorkshire Regiment Medal Roll. This reference (plus the additional page number that appears after it) can be translated into the relevant WO329/xxxx Medal Roll entry at the NA, Kew. The amount of detail recorded on the Medal Rolls varies between units but his entry may give you additional details as to your grandfather's service such as battalion, dates served overseas etc.

Unfortunately this cannot be done online and will require somebody, either yourself or someone on your behalf, doing this at Kew.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Thanks Steve, unfortunately I live in South Africa so it would mean someone helping me with this one, can you advise

regards

Ann

unfortunately I live in South Africa so it would mean someone helping me with this one, can you advise

Ann

Living in South Africa makes it a bit difficult then ;).

There is another section on the forum "I'm going to the National Archives", try posting a request for a lookup for the medal roll details there, give as much detail as you can and if possible post a copy of the MIC. There's usually some kind soul able to help, I'd offer myself but won't be going again until next year.

Good luck

Steve