Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

10th (Irish) Division at Gallipoli - New Book

curranl

Hello All,

This probably should be in the Books Section, but it seemed to make more sense to put it here. Philip Orr has just released a new book on the 10th (Irish) Division at Gallipoli. It's titled Field of Bones, an Irish Division at Gallipoli. I'm half way through it and it's an cracking read. Highly recommended to anyone with an interest in the role of the 10th Division in the Gallipoli campaign.

Sorry, I don't have the ISBN to hand.

Regards,

Liam.

This probably should be in the Books Section, but it seemed to make more sense to put it here. Philip Orr has just released a new book on the 10th (Irish) Division at Gallipoli. It's titled Field of Bones, an Irish Division at Gallipoli. I'm half way through it and it's an cracking read.

Thanks Liam, I am on my way to Amazon now......

Hi Jim,

I'm afraid I haven't gotten that far yet, but I'll have a look for you tonight.

Prior to this the best we had was The 10th (Irish) Division at Gallipoli by Bryan Cooper, who was an officer with the 5th Connaught Rangers. We also had Drury's book on the Dublin Pals.

Orr's book has lots of additional information; personal diaries, letters, etc. You get a real feel for what the individual men experienced.

He is quite critical of the Connaught Rangers CO Jourdain. He says that Jourdain was arrogant and that this shows through in his subsequent memoirs. I was interested to read that Jourdain claims that he spent much of the 10th and 11th of August going around the ravines and gullies "rooting out" men from the 6th Royal Irish Rifles who were demoralised after the mauling they had recieved in the previous two days. This was my grand uncles battalion and I was wondering if he had gotten an earful from Jourdain :D Mind you, if I had been through what they had, I suspect I'd be keeping my head down too. Orr quotes officers of the 6th RIRifles who paint a somewhat different picture of their battalion.

What particularly strikes you from Orr's book is the sheer confusion the officers experienced with their vague orders, poor maps and general uncertainty over what the top brass wanted them to do. This was particularly the case at Suvla. There are very telling comments from other ranks Regulars who landed at Suvla and then spent the next day or two lolling about on the beaches. They realised that the Turks would be bringing up reinforcements and that the job of seizing the high ground around Suvla would become more and more diffiult the longer they waited.

My only criticism of the book is that it is primarily focused on Suvla. This is understandable as the majority of the Division landed there, but frustrating for someone like myself who is mainly interested in the 29th Brigade at Anzac. But that is a personal gripe and doesn't take from the overall quality of the book.

Regards,

Liam.

Interesting - am I right in saying that this is the same Jourdain which Rowland Feilding more or less 'fell out' with (see 'War letters to a Wife) ... and was the 'young' Jourdain who became adj. to 6CR a son/relation?

I think Jourdain (one or the other) became the Regimental magazine editor/archivist?