Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RFC Medal card

tgrubb

Hi

Can anyone tell me what the comment is in the 'remarks' section of this medal card ? It looks like 'Comma' but if it is that I don't understand!!

Thanks

Tim

Could it be commissioned?

Mark

Hi

Can anyone tell me what the comment is in the 'remarks' section of this medal card ? It looks like 'Comma' but if it is that I don't understand!!

Thanks

Tim

Mark

Thanks. That was one of my thoughts. Trouble is, as I am guessing that this man could be a great uncle, I know nothing else about him. I do wish my family had written things on the back of photos!!

Cheers

Tim

This could be him.

Mark

Mark

Thanks. That was one of my thoughts. Trouble is, as I am guessing that this man could be a great uncle, I know nothing else about him. I do wish my family had written things on the back of photos!!

Cheers

Tim

post-14045-1164116080.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Hi

Thanks

Tim

I have an RAF background. I suggest what you are seeing is 'Commd' which is admin shorthand for commissioned. If the attachment is from the London Gazette then it suggests he was commissioned form the ranks on the date shown on the card. It was not unusual for ORs to be commissioned in the RFC as they often applied for or where selected for flying duties. Do you know anything about his squadrons?

Hi

Thanks

Tim

Tim

I couldn't resist looking him up, and I've got it, have a look on the London Gazette website but the previous page, ie page 2, to the one in the reply, the heading is The undermentioned appointments are made - appointment to Temporary 2nd Lieutenant. So he was commssioned on that date.

Susie Hill

ES WRAF

I am afraid that know nothing about him. I am trying to trace some unidentified family photos and I have a studio shot of two RFC guys one of which may (possibly a big may) be my great uncle. I have one contact left in the family and I think a call to her is required.

Thanks for your thoughts though - if I get any information on him I will post it in reply.

Cheers

Tim