Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RN Cap badges

Matt Dixon

Did the Royal Navy havie it's own cap badge during WW1, or were there different cap badges depending on which naval group a ship belonged to.

I am specifically interested in HMS Hampshire, HMS New Zealand, HMS Queen Mary and HMS Invincible.

Matt,

The Junior Rates of each Ships Company wear a Cap Tally with the name of their ship on it.

Senior Rates and Officers wear a Cap Badge denoting their Rank/Rate but not Ship specific.

The only difference to this was the Royal Naval Division whose Junior Rates wore Cap Badges denoting their Battalion (Hood, Drake, Benbow, Hawke, Collingwood, Nelson and Howe.)

post-24-1069002143.gif

Just to expand a little on one aspect of Hussar's reply above

Before the RND received their own battalions' badges for their service caps

they wore the standard RN cap with a tally reading firstly

Royal Naval Division (eg as seen on early photographs of men at the Crystal Palace)

then later, the name of their battalion eg. Hood

Eventually with the introduction of the khaki uniform's service cap to the RND, the metal cap badge made its appearance, each one distinctive to its own battalion

Re cap tallys in general, I seem to remember that my father's from WWII showed only the letters HMS while I think that in WWI the full name of the ship also appeared

Regards

Michael D.R.

Re cap tallys in general, I seem to remember that my father's from WWII showed only the letters HMS while I think that in WWI the full name of the ship also appeared

Regards

Michael D.R.

Michael,

You are correct about the WW2 Tallies. This was to foil the dastardly 5th Columnists as they would not be able to tell which Ships were 'In' purely by going down to 'Pompey', doing 'Rounds Route Alpha' and skegging the Cap Tallies. :lol:

Hussar,

many thanks for that confirmation

the 'former naval person' previously referred to is celebrating his 82nd birthday today so I had better look sharp and get him to translate the slang before we splice the main brace

All the best

Michael D.R.

I don't if its still the same, but in my day submariners used to wear cap tallies with HM SUBMARINES on them. Presumably this was also to prevent people knowing which boat they were on. :ph34r: This illusion was ruined by the 'HMS Oberon Rugby Team' t-shirts that they wore ashore.

Michael

G'day Mick

Belay the last pipe!

Keep this up & I'll dig out a couple of photos of crew from HMAS Oberon playing their natural game Aussie Rules.

I know, I know we always get hand-me-downs

ooRoo

Paddy

Could be talking out of my transom but didn't some senior rates ( depending on which branch.) still wear square rig up to and including WW 2 ?

Roger.

Roger,

I don't know how much further forward this takes you, if at all,

But I have just been able to raise your point with my father whose explanation for his own square rig was "the war ended too soon"; apparently he had to complete six months before the new rate was confirmed and only after that confirmation was he to have been allowed to ditch the square rig

Regards

Michael D.R.

Michael

I understand what your Father told you about waiting to be confimed before getting a new rig and also think that up to some point Petty Officers "dressed as Seaman" wore square rig and Chief Petty officers wore fore and aft rig. I don't have much info on this but I think PO's in certain branches ie Tiffs, wore fore and aft rig too.

I joined up in '81 so it's well before my time :rolleyes:

Roger.

also think that up to some point Petty Officers "dressed as Seaman" wore square rig and Chief Petty officers wore fore and aft rig.

Roger,

That explanation would also fit

as my father ended the war as a Yeoman of Signals

and not as a Chief Yeoman of Signals

Regards

Michael D.R.