Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New Work - Pfalz DIII portrait

Russell Smith

"Rüdenberg's Pfalz DIII"

oil on linen

19" x 11.5"

This is a portrait of the Pfalz DIII flown by Vfw Friedrich Rüdenberg of Jasta 10.

Russ

RudenbergsPfalzDIII-2.jpg

Russell

Again, an excellent painting that captures the 'spirit' of the aeroplane. I wonder what happened to Rüdenberg after he migrated to Israel?

Regards

Gareth

Russell i could spend a long , long time just looking at your paintings.

Again , stunning .

Roland.

Brilliant Russ, I just wish I had some spare cash as I would buy all your great war work, by the way if you do not mind me asking, how much is one of your works, if I start saving I may buy one next year.

Annette

Great picture and an unusual subject - makes a change from the Albatross types which, IIRC, the Pfalz was often mistaken for.

A very neat and even pretty little 'plane. Good job well done.

Thanks all so much for your kind compliments. The Pfalz DIII and DIIIa were both elegant in their lines, weren't they? Much like an anorexic Albatros.

Russ

Russell - this is the first time I have come across your art (too many new threads everyday to read them all) and I have just spent the last few minutes going through the various artwork you have posted up - particularly liked the DH 2. What a gift you have.

Have you done anything on McCudden or 56 Sqn?

Russ,

Not so sure about an anorexic Albatross; more as you say, an elegant design with a not too shabby performance as well IIRC.

Hello Russ

Fine work. I like the capture of the sheen on the fusilage and the detail in the shadows. Will pass on the GWF URL address to a couple of friends who are active in the Cross and Cockade International publication.

Do you have a website with an exhibition of your portfolio?

Borden Battery

Russell - this is the first time I have come across your art (too many new threads everyday to read them all) and I have just spent the last few minutes going through the various artwork you have posted up - particularly liked the DH 2. What a gift you have.

Have you done anything on McCudden or 56 Sqn?

Thanks Johnathan. I'm hoping to have the final version of the DH2 piece finished by the end of the year. Once it is finished, I'll certainly scan it and post a copy of the image here.

as far as 56 Sq images, I did do a few several years ago. You can find them at the following links:

http://www.russellsmithart.com/Small%20pag...ofthehussar.htm

http://www.russellsmithart.com/Small%20pag...ysDavidsSE5.htm

cheers

russ

Hello Russ

Fine work. I like the capture of the sheen on the fusilage and the detail in the shadows. Will pass on the GWF URL address to a couple of friends who are active in the Cross and Cockade International publication.

Do you have a website with an exhibition of your portfolio?

Borden Battery

Sure do, Borden. You can find it below in my signature.

I'm actually a member of C&CI. In fact they have been so generous to feature my work on both the front and back covers on a few occasions. I've been in their calendar for the past 2 years a well.

cheers

Russ

Really fine job. First rate.

I'm assuming it's done in oils?

yes indeed, JSS. Great alias you have there, by the way. One of my favorite artists!

cheers

Russ