Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Rev Thomas Jasper Shovel

Hywyn

Can I draw attention of Cornish Pals to Posts 14 and 35 etc of this thread and ask if anyone can say whether the Rev Shovel is on Linkinhorne ( or any other local) Memorial.

Thanks

Hywyn

Hywyn.

Member LST_164, Clive, is working on Holyhead men. I've sent him some info. & will draw his attention to the details supplied by Paul Johnson.

There is a notice in The Times Tuesday, Oct 15, 1918; pg. 10; Issue 41921; col C.

"The Rev. Thomas Jaspar SHOVEL, C.F. was killed on Oct. 6th. aged 34, while walking with a medical officer of the field ambulance to which he was attached. He was the eldest son of Mr. T. Shovel, of Linkinhorne, Cornwall, and had been in the Wesleyan Ministry for 13 years. At the outbreak of war he offered his services as Chaplain, but was not accepted until early this year. He was at home on leave in August, and returned to the front September 8. A younger brother, Lieutenant E.G.Shovel, D.C.L.I., is a journalist, and was in the London office of the Western morning News before joining the Army."

He is in :WO 374 War Office: Officers' Services, First World War, personal files (alphabetical)

Kath.

Hywyn

Thomas Shovel the father of the Rev.Shovel was a grocer and also a member of the Parish Council.

A possible relative who died in WW2 is buried in Rilla Mill Chapel Churchyard in the Parish of Linkinhorne:

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...asualty=2948727

Dave

In my usual research the men are on Cape Helles Memorial as they were lost at sea.

Personally I found it good to see the Rev. Shovel's actual grave on the CWGC site.

Kath.

This is the whole point of the Forum, the sharing of information and expertise on all matters relating to the Great War.

My thanks to those who have participated in this thread. It has helped me expand my knowledge of the Reverand Shovel.

Regards

PAUL J.

This is the whole point of the Forum, the sharing of information and expertise on all matters relating to the Great War.

My thanks to those who have participated in this thread. It has helped me expand my knowledge of the Reverand Shovel.

Regards

PAUL J.

All in all a neat bit of spadework ;)

cheers Martin B