Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What squadron?

mattina

Hi

Could anybody out there tell me why Capt. Danby is noted on officers died as KIA, but is buried in Hartlepool cemetery, UK?? Does this mean he was killed in combat or died in an accident??

Also on CWGC his squadron is not mentioned, is this common??

Matt

Captain Charles David Danby was serving with 509 Flight as part of 252 Sqn and based at Seaton Carew II. He was killed on a coastal patrol on 18 July 1918, along with AM2 EA Bannister, when their DH6 caught fire and spun in. He was classed as KIA because he was on operational duties. The DH6s of 252 and 256 Sqns flew so called 'scarecrow' patrols above and ahead of merchant convoys, designed to keep U-boats submerged and thus less harmful. Danby came from Manchester, so there must have been no next-of-kin to claim the body. If there had been, he would have been returned to his home town for burial.

Captain Charles David Danby was serving with 509 Flight as part of 252 Sqn and based at Seaton Carew II. He was killed on a coastal patrol on 18 July 1918, along with AM2 EA Bannister, when their DH6 caught fire and spun in. He was classed as KIA because he was on operational duties. The DH6s of 252 and 256 Sqns flew so called 'scarecrow' patrols above and ahead of merchant convoys, designed to keep U-boats submerged and thus less harmful. Danby came from Manchester, so there must have been no next-of-kin to claim the body. If there had been, he would have been returned to his home town for burial.

Thank you very much. I was interested because i have his death plaque. How did you find out all this??