Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Queen Alexandra's Imperial Mil. Nursing Service Res.

gnr.ktrha

Hello,

I was hoping someone may have some information on Staff Nurse Edith Wadsworth QAIMNSR? I understand that members of the unit are listed in the Army List and War Service list, is this correct and does anyone have her entries? In particular, I would be interested in her War Service entry. I have tried the RCN website and have found an Edith Wadsworth, but she was a member of the French Flag Nursing service, which I think was part of the French Red Cross, so I don't belive it is her.

All and any help will be greatly received. :)

Many thanks,

Stewart

If she was in the QAIMNS Reserve, then she will not be listed in the Army List. Only the regulars were. Her service papers should be available in the National Archive under reference WO 399. You can check availability on line.

Hello,

Thanks for your help. There is a file. So hope to get that in the next couple of weeks. Is there anywhere else worth checking for details?

Regards,

Stewart

• 1 month later...
Guest annjbennett

I don't suppose you could mean Sarah Elizabeth Wadsworth? who was also in QAMNS reserve and served in Mesopotamia in November 1917 Regards Ann

Hello Ann,

I'm afraid not. Her full name is as stated and she served in Ireland in 1916 and in France from 1917 onwards.

Are you trying to research Sarah Elizabeth Wadsworth? Have you tried the RCN website where you can search the online journals by key words? It's very good, but of course not everyone is ever mentioned in the journal.

Regards,

Stewart

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Ranald Moore

Greetings to you all - I am also trying to research some one who I believe was in the QAIMNSR from 1916-1918 and who was a Night Superintendent at Richmond Hospital during that time.

Where do I go to seach online (if possible as I am in Australia) if this particular great aunt was part of that organisation. She also served in France in 1916 and her name was Clara Edith Moore.

When her nephew was wounded at Bullecourt she wrote home to his mother (my grandmother) frequently, a total of 55 letters in all which I have just transcribed as the beginning of a book about her life.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

With thanks

Ranald Moore

Ranald

There is a Clara Moore who served with the Territorial Force Nursing Service, and has a file at The National Archives (WO399/13390). She also has a medal index card, which suggests she was originally serving with a Territorial Hospital in Birmingham before going overseas. TFNS files are often short on detail, but it should be possible from the file to at least confirm [or not] whether she was your grandmother - these are not online.

The medal index cards also show a Clare Edith Moore who served with the British Red Cross Society and St. John [Joint War Committee], but her 'rank' is not given on the card, so perhaps not even a trained nurse. An enquiry to the BRCS about any records they hold for Clare Edith Moore might help.

http://www.redcross.org.uk/standard.asp?id=3423

Sue

Guest Ranald Moore

Ann

Thank you so much for your reply.

To give you some background - she trained at Prince Alfred Hospital in Sydney beginning 17.8 1893 and had her Certificate granted on 26.8.1896. After that it is all a bit sketchy and I currently am trying to confirm her appointment as a Matron of a regional hospital in NSW.

I realise also I have made an assumption as in her letters home she mentions the QAIMNSR and I assumed she was part of that organisation. She may also have simply been responding to a query from home. The only facts I do know are her time in France (with whom I dont know) and her time as Night Superintendent at Richmond.

It would not surprise me if she was on other organisations as you mention as she was a very determined and well known character. In one letter she describes her horror of the Major in charge of the Hospital as he tries to remove the pyjamas from the men so as to save on laundry bills. She went into bat for the men and I believe won. I almost feel sorry for the Major!

Thanks again

Ranald