Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Two MIC cards

nodrear

Can anyone shed light on the deleted entries and the remarks in between the crosses in the theatre of war section on the darker card?

post-10317-1163794556.jpgpost-10317-1163794590.jpg

medals would have been deleted from the roll as you shouldnt have had the same medals issued twice to one man

Is it unusual for a man to have two cards? My Grandad did. I believe he renlisted under an assumed name when home on leave, and wonder how often this happened. The first card in the name Reardon is his real identity . The second card is in the assumed name of Mooney.

Having looked through the forum I think I can now make more sense of the entries on the card for Reardon.

Having renlisted in the Leinsters as Mooney he was listed as a deserter from the Royal Irish Rifles ( as marked on the RIR mic).

I dont think he was ever "caught" and served in the Leinsters until invalided out (family history says in 1917).

I am guessing that his medals were issued in the name Mooney. But the Reardon mic has a second set of medal references " Restn B/104B25-3905" and " Restn B/8B5. 825".

The deleted text on the Reardon card seems to read

BW & VM retd ( deserted 20.7.15) CRV ? ? B 19.7.22 7127/adt

Is it possible that two sets of medals were issued?

One point that puzzles me is that he only arrived in France on 4. 2. 15 yet if he went AWOL on 20.7.15 is it likely that he would have been back home on leave so soon?

Any help from you chaps with a detailed understanding of medal index cards would be much appreciated.

Mike Reardon