Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A trip to Gallipoli

niimmm

Hello folks,

I'm planning a holiday to Gallipoli next year. I hope to drive down in a campervan with a fellow enthusiast. Can someone here tell me what there is to see?

Nim

Hello folks,

I'm planning a holiday to Gallipoli next year. I hope to drive down in a campervan with a fellow enthusiast. Can someone here tell me what there is to see?

Nim

have a look at the recent Gallipoli travelogue postings. I think they are 1 to 7. Very informative.

stevem

I suggest you pick up copies of two or three guides which should give you a good idea of what there is to see.

The First is Major and Mrs. Holt's Battlefield Guide to Gallipoli - well illustrated and an easy read with much good detail - though not perfect.

The Second is Gallipoli - A battlefield guide by Pam Cupper & Phil Taylor - Kangaroo Press - you will probably need to order it from Australia (eg the shop at www.awm.gov.au or one of the australian online booksellers. It is probably the most detailed and to anyone visiting the area in detail it is essential, though it still does not include everything you might get to see if you walk the ground in detail.

The Third is a recent (2006) Turkish volume (bi-lingual) whose details I can't find immediately - but it is mentioned on www.gallipoli.com.tr - a useful site run by a forum member living on the peninsula.

Do be warned that the roads keep changing out there (new, rebuilt and diverted). You will be able to pick up all sorts of maps (good and bad) when you get there. There is an excellent Official "Peace Park" map and others which you will find at roadside stalls which vary in value.

Dear Nim and Martin,

The book is :

Çanakkale Muharebe Alanları Gezi Rehberi / Gallipoli Battlefield Guide by Gürsel Göncü & Şahin Aldoğan.

ISBN 975 9191 07 5

Nim,

Just a remark : Are you planning your trip as a trip through Europe with Turkey /Gallipoli being the final stage or are you planning to visit Turkey (Istanbul-Gallipoli and beyond) and get there as quick as possible ?? If the latter I would consider renting a mobilhome in Istanbul and fly there with eg Easyjet from Luton.

eric

Thanks Erik - I just couldn't find my copy when I wanted to.

I cannot underestimate what a fine volume it is - eveyone who has takena look at my copy has said "where can I get one" ......

The book is for sale at Pandora.com.tr for 22.50 YTL (12 Euro) but their online service is in Turkish only so I suggest for those interested to contact them at bilgi@pandora.com.tr.

eric

I would also agree the new Gallipoli guide is excellent ; Bill Sellars (ecebat) very kindly got me a copy when I was over in May. It killed the time on the flight coming home very nicely, and was very good on the coverage of Turkish memorials, something about which there is little in English.