Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Obtaining war diaries from National Archives

michellept

Hi

I'm trying to obtain the war diaries for the 9th KOYLI from the National Archives website. On the site it is divided into months covering from May 1915 to beyond May 1918. I have downloaded April & May 1918 as they are the main months of interest to me but I would quite like to read all of it. Is it possible to buy & download the whole document as opposed to paying £3.50 for each part?

Any help?

Thanks

Michelle

P.S I also have Sept 1917 with the maps included if anyone is looking for them.

Michelle

I recently purchased a copy of all of the 1/6th South Staffs war diary. The total period for this battalion was 51 months (February 1915 to May 1919), and the copy includes a lot of "operational orders" etc. This was copied onto 430 A3 sheets (digital copy was not an option).

The process followed the steps and timings provided on the site.

1) Request quote (10 working days)

2) Clarify Battalion and period

3) Make payment

4) Copies made and posted (~21 working days)

Final results are all legible, some are difficult to read, but this is probably due to the originals/copies held.

Total cost for this was ~£195 including p&p.

You then have the problem of storing / refering to A3 pages. Binders for this are not essential, but A3 folders are not cheap (~5x A4).

Hope this helps.

Stuart

Hi Stuart,

Thanks for that.....that really helps....it's good to know and I will consider it but it is still a lot of money isn't it.

Thanks again

Michelle