Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RMLI Gallipoli

swatt9r

According to Arthur Chater (soon to be Chatham Bn RMLI adjutant at Anzac, aged 19) the Chatham Bn was sent to camp at Port Said in mid-March 1915. Anyone have a name or photo of this camp?

Stewart

According to Arthur Chater (soon to be Chatham Bn RMLI adjutant at Anzac, aged 19) the Chatham Bn was sent to camp at Port Said in mid-March 1915. Anyone have a name or photo of this camp?

Stewart

The whole of the RND were in a tented camp at Port Said. The RM Brigade transports arrived at Port Said on 26 and 27 March and they disembarked into camp on 29 March. They stayed there until re-embarking on 7 April.

I am not aware that this camp in the desert had a name.

This is a photo of a Drake Bn officers' tent typical of the camp.

Thank you Horatio 2 for prompt response. Can you give me the source of your detailed information. Am trying to piece together the 12 days of action my grt uncle had at Anzac with C company of Chatham Bn RMLI (before wounded) from landing on 28th April 1915. Have read Lt Chater's Bn diary but it is sparse on events in early days as he did not begin to write it till 12th May 15. Do you know of any other records or sources?

regards

Stewart

1. Britain's Sea Soldiers - A History of the Royal Marines 1914-1919 by Gen Sir HE Blumberg.

2. The Royal Naval Division by Douglas Jerrold.

3. Official History - Gallipoli, Volume 1.

4. The Royal Marines by Julian Thompson.

5. "Gallipoli" many books with this title by several authors including LA Carlyon, Robert Rhodes James, Michael Hickey.

These all cover in greater or lesser detail the operations of the four RND battalions (Chatham, Portsmouth and Deal (RMLI) and Nelson (Naval) at Anzac in the period 28 April to 13 May 1915, including the Battle for baby 70 on 2/3 May.

That lot should get you started

Further to last post, do you have your rel's papers from the Fleet Air Arm Museum? As a Chatham man there should be some good stuff there. Let me know his service number/name and I will tell you if his papers are there.

Do you know of any other records or sources?

Contact teh RM Museum ... cant remember the chap's name who is in charge of documents but there is a pretty big thank you to him in the acknowledgements of the new edition of From Trench and Turret

I cant remember if Chater held a personal diary that has since been deposited with RMM, but there may well be unpublished material from other participants, available for you to view that will help. From memory I think Chatham were up by Quinn's and the Chessboard from 28 April.