Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Somme Aftermath

Soren

Somme Aftermath, soldiers frozen in time, hang dead on the wire, all of them are dead, although their poses still echo the thrust of their earlier, living advance

post-4474-1163805240.jpg

• 1 month later...
Somme Aftermath, soldiers frozen in time, hang dead on the wire, all of them are dead, although their poses still echo the thrust of their earlier, living advance

I like the composition.........it would make a really good painting.

I'm not so sure about the rat though, I understand its significance but I think it detracts from the overall composition.

I very much like your drawing style, your sense of line and composition show a mastery of the medium that leads me to wonder if you paint as well.

regards

mike Lewis

cheers Dan!

I'm quite hung over today, and have attempted to push my pencil around a piece of paper, the figure are somewhat lacking the immediacy I normally like, what do you think?

post-4474-1167482469.jpg

You know - you just make me wanna throw all me colouring pencils in the bin!

Aaaaargghhhhhhhhh!

Jealous Des

cheers Dan!

I'm quite hung over today, and have attempted to push my pencil around a piece of paper, the figure are somewhat lacking the immediacy I normally like, what do you think?

I like it (as usual!). However the Machine Gunners appear to be defending the position while the infantry have bayonets fixed and appear about to advance, as far as I know an attached bayonet makes a weapon less accurate, and certainly harder to handle, what is going on here attack or defence? :huh:

Jon

I like it (as usual!). However the Machine Gunners appear to be defending the position while the infantry have bayonets fixed and appear about to advance, as far as I know an attached bayonet makes a weapon less accurate, and certainly harder to handle, what is going on here attack or defence? :huh:

Jon

Hi Jon,

It's my ignorance, I had in mind that they were (the advancing infantry) getting quite near, Schwaben redoubt maybe(?)

I did spend 2 years in the waffen ss sea cadets whilst at school and should have remembered the bayonet/accuracy bit! thanks for highlighting it!

Ah, now I see it!! For whatever reason, earlier this morning I couldn't see the illustration. I think it's excellent Soren! The mix of stahlhelm, pickelhaube and two kinds of hats pinpoints the time period and hints at a mix of units, a hodge-podge thrown in to hold a position. Happened often enough certainly. If they were cooks and bakers and clerks, they might not know not to fix bayonets. Few of the riflemen are firing and that also hints at the situation. Confusion, no NCO organizing them. I should think the tendency of a trained rifleman would be to bang away unless ammunition was lacking. Maybe I'm reading absolutely all this into it, but...

All the best,

Dan