Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt Arthur Cuhelyn Morris RFC

geoff_allan

Lt Arthur Cuhelyn Morris died 17 Feb 1918 and was originally in the R Welch Fusiliers

This seems to be the only CWGC entry for an officer in the RFC with these initials, yet on the Binstead War Memorial on the Isle of Wight, the entry reads

ARTHUR CAPEL MORRIS, LIEUT, RFC.

According to the CWGC Record Arthur Capel Morris was a Private in the Royal Munster Fusiliers

Did the people of Binstead get it wrong ? should the inscription be

Arthur Capel Morris, PTE, R Munster Fusiliers

or

Arthur Cuhelyn Morris, Lieut, RFC

Does anyone have any biographical information that can show that either A C Morris lived on the Isle of Wight ?

Does anyone have any information about how Lt Arthur Cuhelyn Morris died ? The only information I've found was a London Gazette entry (18 March 1918) saying he had been appointed Temp Capt (since killed in action)

thanks

If it's any help:

Arthur Cuhelyn Morris was born in Wrexham in 1895 and was still in Wrexham in 1901.

Arthur Capel Morris was born in Dover in 1893.

Steve.

The Jasta War Chronology by Franks, Bailey and Duiven actually has 2nd Lt. AW Greene and Sgt A Hughesden shot down and killed in the only DH4 loss on that day. The aircraft was shot down by Obltn H Auffarth, his tenth kill, over Ham at 1330hrs.

On February 16 1918 though, the previous day, Ltn H. Bongartz claimed a DH4, possibly of 18th Squadron, over Becelaere!

Lt Arthur Cuhelyn Morris (formerly 19th Battalion, Royal Welsh Fusiliers) was flying as observer in DH 4 A7800 of No 18 Sqn RFC, flown by 2Lt F Jones, when it was involved in combat during a bombing raid on Ascq on 17 February 1918. Lt Morris was killed in action, while 2Lt Jones was not injured.

As A7800 wasn't brought down, the German pilot responsible for Lt Morris's death wouldn't have been credited with a victory.

I hope that this helps.

Gareth

Gareth

thanks for clarifying Lt Morris's circumstances of death. Could you tell me the source for this information ?

All I need now is proof of his residence on the Isle of Wight. I've requested an estimate for his service papers from The National Archives, so hopefully when I get those, I'll have the information I need.

thanks to all so far

Geoff

Sorry to throw spanners around.

In the 1911 Hampshire Directory.

http://www.historicaldirectories.org/hd/index.asp

Private Residents

"Capel Morris, Brookfield, Binstead Road, Ryde."

Steve.

Steve - a welcome spanner, I think, as otherwise I would have continued down the wrong road ... it looks like when the Binstead Memorial was inscribed, they had the name correct as ARTHUR CAPEL MORRIS, but managed to assign him to the RFC rather than his correct regiment, Royal Munster Fusiliers, as well as promoting him from Private to Lieutenant !

CWGC has him as "Son of Mr. and Mrs. Capel Morris, of 78, The Drive, Hove, Sussex." so I would think this is fairly conclusive.

Thanks also for pointing me to the online directories - I didn't realise they were available.

I'll make this clear when I next update the Binstead entries on my website.

Geoff

Could you tell me the source for this information ?

Geoff

The sources were:

Airmen Died in the Great War by Chris Hobson; and

The DH 4/DH 9 File by Sturtivant and Page.

Regards

Gareth