Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Women's Emergency Committee or Corps

geoff_allan

has any one information about the WEC ?, specifically Mrs Gartside-Tipping, killed by a soldier whose mind was "disordered"

From the Times :

The death occurred on March 4th 1917 "in the war zone in France, while on active service" of Mrs Mary Gartside-Tipping, who was the daughter of the late Captain Flynn, R.A. She married Mr Gartside-Tipping in 1890.

Mrs Gartside-Tipping had worked for nearly a year at the Munitions Worker's Canteen, Woolwich, and in January 1917 joined the Women's Emergency Corps for service in the war zone in France, where she was shot by a soldier whose mind was disordered. The French military authorities did everything possible to express their sympathy; the croix de guerre which had been withheld from women since November 1916, was conferred at once; and a full military funeral accorded.

A requiem Mass for the late Mrs Gartside-Tipping was held at Farm Street, Berkeley Square, London later in March 1917.

=====

She and her husband are commemorated on the War Memorial at Binstead, Isle of Wight.

This link should get you started:

http://www.1914-1918.net/women.htm#wvr

[And very fortunate too, considering that the whole of the British military nursing services only have five lines between them :rolleyes: ]

There is quite a lot on the WEC, and probably Mrs G-T, within the Imperial War Museum's 'Women, Work and Society' collection. It's available at the IWM, and once a year online, when Thomson Gale give free access to their databases for 'Library Week.'

Sue

Perhaps my badge illustration is inappropriate. Coming from a munitions canteen and referring to 'WEC' I immediately assumed Women's Emergency Canteens. Sorry if I have misled you

Tony

Perhaps my badge illustration is inappropriate. Coming from a munitions canteen and referring to 'WEC' I immediately assumed Women's Emergency Canteens. Sorry if I have misled you

Tony

I don't think it is inappropriate - Mrs G-T did work at a munitions canteen in Woolwich. Thanks to evereyone so far, this has given me some good leads - especially the IWM

Geoff

...... where she was shot by a soldier whose mind was disordered. The French military authorities did everything possible to express their sympathy; the croix de guerre which had been withheld from women since November 1916, was conferred at once; and a full military funeral accorded.

[end of quote]

It should be mentioned that it was a deranged French soldier that shot her and hence the keeness of the French authorities to do whatever they could to show their regret.

She and her husband are commemorated on the War Memorial at Binstead, Isle of Wight.

[end of quote]

Her name is also on the Southport War Memorial. The CWGC has given her the most simple, yet poignant, of headstones with her name, her date of death and the cross. Her husband was killed in a ship (HM Yacht Sanda) off the coast of Belgium in 1915 and at the time he was the oldest naval officer serving afloat. (aged 67).

Geoff, I would appreciate a picture of her name off the Binstead War Memorial if it is at all possible. Jim

Jim

thanks for this, I sort of assumed that it wasn't a British soldier who killed her. I was aware of her husband's service details from contemporary newspaper reports too.

You can find low-res copies of the Binstead War Memorial photos at my web site at

http://www.isle-of-wight-memorials.org.uk/towns/binstead.htm

if you'd like higher res copies let me know and I'll send them to you separately, but I won't be able to do this for a few days as I shall not have access to the internet.

Mrs Gartside-Tipping doesn't appear to have a CWGC record online - so can you advise me of the location of her grave ? Do you have a photo of it, and of the Southport Memorial ?

thanks

Geoff

Hello Geoff, The grave is at Vauxbuin French National Cemetery. Plot III.B.5. I do have photographs of the grave headstone and the name on the Southport War Memorial. However copyright remains with the people that provided them to me so I will need to contact them to get permission.

Hello Geoff, The grave is at Vauxbuin French National Cemetery. Plot III.B.5. I do have photographs of the grave headstone and the name on the Southport War Memorial. However copyright remains with the people that provided them to me so I will need to contact them to get permission.

Thanks for this Jim.

The other photos aren't essential but if you can get permission it would be good to have copies. Do you still want the Binstead memorial photos at high resolution ?

Geoff

Thanks for this Jim.

The other photos aren't essential but if you can get permission it would be good to have copies. Do you still want the Binstead memorial photos at high resolution ?

Geoff

Yes, please.

jimstrawbridge@coinsale.fsnet.co.uk