Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Back from the Front

Guest Hill 60

Firstly, the Police (French, Belgian and even the British) didn't stop me once :o.

Easy journey, even for my first experiance of driving overseas (although I did drive round the first rounabout in France 6 times before plucking up the courage to carry on!).

Friday 7th: Quick stop at Adinkerke to visit a grave; Jean looks after the receipient's 1914 trio.

Arrived at 'our' house by the Lille Gate before 15:00hrs.

After dinner a walk to the Menin Gate for the Last Post, and then a visit to 't Ganzeke (by the Belgian War memorial).

Saturday 8th: Spent in Ypres, 'doing' the sights..eating etc (mainly at 't Ganzeke or Cyper.

Rememberance Sunday involved a drive down to Holnon (France) to be the first members of the family to visit the grave of William George Swain (my great uncle). Very emotional day, especially for my father, and I wouldn't have missed it for the world.

We also stopped off at Vimy Ridge, Jean and Marj (my mum) were really impressed with the whole place.

The rest of week was spent visiting places such as; Menin Road South Military Cemetery, where Edward Swain (another great uncle) is buried (our 2nd visit); Sanctuary Wood Museum, Hooge Crater Museum, Toc H (good to see Cynthia, Ski, Ian and a host of other Pals there), 'In Flanders Fields' Museum, St Eloi (where Jean managed to find a mills grenade (info passed to the Police) and a whole host of other cemeteries etc.

On the Tuesday morning there was loud banging on our front door, it was George (an 85 year old Belgian) who I got talking to on our arrival. He handed me a carrier-bag and said 'I picked these up when I was a young boy, you can have them, they're no good to me'; inside the bag was a British shell case (1917), 1 French, 2 German & 1 British shell caps!

The same night, I decide that I wanted to have a few drinks in the pub by the Ramparts. Whilst ordering the drinks, I was asked by a Belgian couple about my Clan Davidson badge and whether it was a military badge. A little later I got into a conversation with them and they asked what we were doing on Thursday, we were free so they offered to show us some places we hadn't been to!

So, from 09:00hrs until 17:00hrs on Thursday they took us to; The Ijzer Tower, Trenches of Death, Yorkshire Trench, Essex Farm, Vladslo German Cemetery, Houthulst Belgian Cemetery, Memorial to 1st & 2nd Battalions Belgian Cyclists, Tyne Cot Cemetery and a lot of other places. What really got me was that they didn't want a penny (or a Euro!!) for the tour, and they were amazed that we bought them dinner and a few rounds of drinks. Dirk and Michelle were a great couple and made a special trip extra special.

Sorry to go on (this is a really cut down version of what I was going to say), but I just thought I'd share a little with the Pals.

And my meeting with Paul Reed, at the Menin Gate, goes to show that my hat stands out a bit! As he walked past me, he suddenly stopped, looked at me and said 'Lee?'. When I said 'Yes', he said 'I thought so, it was the hat!' (and thanks to the owner of 'The British Grenadier' (by the Menin Gate) for giving us Canadian badges for our hats!!.

Will - I will put some photos on the forum, but I still use 35mm and they won't be ready until later in the week.

Garth - I'll get the manuscript ready soon mate :lol:

Will - I will put some photos on the forum, but I still use 35mm and they won't be ready until later in the week.

Look forward to it...........Oh yes & welcome back to HMP MK. Your parole is over & it's back to the hard labour :lol:

And my meeting with Paul Reed, at the Menin Gate, goes to show that my hat stands out a bit! As he walked past me, he suddenly stopped, looked at me and said 'Lee?'. When I said 'Yes', he said 'I thought so, it was the hat!'

Who could miss you in that hat, mate! :P

Nice to meet you and your family - sorry we didn't have longer to chat.

Yes, Lee it was good to meet you and yours. I am delighted that you had such a good tour , meeting Pals and making other pals ! It elevates the whole thing from a little holiday into a real experience that will remain in the memory for a very long time.

Regards Ian

Yes, Lee it was good to meet you and yours.

Ian - Yes, it was good to meet you as well.

Did you go for the meal in Ypres? Sorry, I was going to get back to you at Toc H, but we ended up leaving earlier than we expected and I missed you.