Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help Please ,,,Are There Any Aviation Experts

GRACELAND

Are There Any Aviation Experts

Hello all need some help here,

I was given this propeller today I believe it could be from a WW1 plane but what?

Any aviation Experts out there??

Picture Bellow It measures 48 inches By 8 inches wide in old Money!!

post-2316-1163533415.jpg

Thanks for that any one else with another choice ???

Thanks for that any one else with another choice ???

Other than it is certainly old, and Jerry's shout looks good going by general shape, no. I fear you may not find any identifying marks on it as IIRC they were usually round the hub. However these chaps might be able to help:

http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=4

Occasionally prone to squabbling, but mostly a good bunch - and a few GWF members there too!

Adrian

Ok thanks Loads Ta

post-2669-1163920955.jpgHi,

I have a fourteen inch tip of a propeller that my grandfather gave me - see attached photo. It is most likely that of a BE2c but could possibly be from an RE8 (both aircraft used by my grandfather's squadron). I have tried many sources to confirm which it is but am not yet 100 percent sure. Looking at all of the photos I have I am reasonably sure it is from a BE2c.

In comparing your photo with the tip I have, it looks almost identical, in shape, size (8 inches wide), wood (mahogany), laminations, pins etc etc.

I'm sorry I can't be more certain. If you send the photo to Duxford, they may be able to help you as my sample was too small for them to confirm the type. You have almost a whole arm.

Regards

Steve

Duxford ????

Got an address Please

• 2 weeks later...

ta pal

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I've just re-read the last entry I made and realised that I said the propeller blade was probably from a BE2c - I meant to have said it was from an RE8. Sorry about that. If you look at a thread that started today (on the newly opened museum in NZ) you will see a good shot of one of the museum aircraft (an RE8) which shows the shape of the propeller.

The link is:

http://warbirdinformationexchange.org/phpB...pic.php?t=10109

Regards

Steve