Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

No 4 Stationary Hospital - enquiry

Gregory

Can anyone confirm whether No. 4 Stationary Hospital was at Arques between August 1917 and February 1918. In The Long, Long Trail (British Hospitals, Western Front), the dates are given as May-November 1918 only, but MH106/1514-1515 seem to place this hospital at Arques a year earlier.

Any help would be appreciated.

Gregory.

Gregory

The information on the 'Long, Long, Trail' comes from the booklet 'Location of Hospitals and Casualty Clearing Stations' which was a Ministry of Pensions booklet giving details of units in France and Flanders, but there seem to be many omissions and errors in the original, and hence on the LLT.

I'm currently going through a rather long document, and trying, as I go, to pick up any of these errors I find, although that's not the primary intention of the work. No.4 Stationary Hospital was one of the very early units into France, and by September 1914 was working at Angers. By August 1915, it had moved to a place described as 'A large Chateau and old distillery very near St. Omer' which may well be Arques, which is only a couple of miles from St. Omer, although it's not actually named.

The only sure way to find out its movements is to check the unit war diary at The National Archives - but is was certainly around before 1918.

Sue

Thanks so much for this. It's very helpful. Actually, MH106/1514-1515 is the war diary, I think. I haven't seen it for some time, but as far as I remember it gives lists of patients and their conditions. It also gives the location, hence my query - which you have now suitably answered.

thanks again.

Gregory.

Gregory

The information on the 'Long, Long, Trail' comes from the booklet 'Location of Hospitals and Casualty Clearing Stations' which was a Ministry of Pensions booklet giving details of units in France and Flanders, but there seem to be many omissions and errors in the original, and hence on the LLT.

I'm currently going through a rather long document, and trying, as I go, to pick up any of these errors I find, although that's not the primary intention of the work. No.4 Stationary Hospital was one of the very early units into France, and by September 1914 was working at Angers. By August 1915, it had moved to a place described as 'A large Chateau and old distillery very near St. Omer' which may well be Arques, which is only a couple of miles from St. Omer, although it's not actually named.

The only sure way to find out its movements is to check the unit war diary at The National Archives - but is was certainly around before 1918.

Sue

Thank you again. Even more helpful.

Gregory.

Gregory

Your MH106 references are actually the Admission and Discharge registers. The unit war diary is in WO95/4098 and 4099.

Sue

• 10 years later...

I see this thread is now eleven years old but still very relevant. In the diary of Captain Dr. D.C.M.Page MC, RAMC he notes that he was transferred to No.4 Stationary Hospital, Arques on 23rd June 1917.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...

Hello

My grandfather was transferred to number 4 stationary hospital towards the end of July 1917. Was this still at Arques, do you know?

Edited by Ruth Bradshaw

• 2 months later...

Hello,

I am currently viewing the Admission and Discharge Book for No. 4 Stationary Hospital, the front page of which states the location as Arques. Applicable dates for this book are 10 Feb to 12 Apr 1918. So, that would confirm the location of this Hospital, at least for those dates.

My Grandfather was discharged on 5 Apr 1918.  I am struggling to decipher the code (possibly V.D.S.) shown in the Diseases column.

• Admin

Welcome to the forum. Can you post an (acknowledged) image so we can help you? 

Hi Michelle,

Not sure what you mean by an 'acknowledged image', but I have attached an image of the Discharge Book page in the hope this is relevant?

F Yates Hosp. Discharge 5 Apr 1918.png

• Admin

Members should acknowledge all sources as per forum rules. 
Looking at some of the other ailments affecting a certain part of the body ie herpes penis and balanitis, I’m afraid that VDS might be venereal disease syphilis.