Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German Regiments

jamesmcdonald

Anyone know of any sites that tell which German Regiments were on the front lines at the major battles in France? Particularly Arras 1918.... The Hindenburg Line.

JIMMAC;

Rather broad question. The German Army probably had 2000 regiments in 1918, and they moved about quite a lot. I don't think that you will find sound info on a web-site.

Do you read German?

Bob Lembke

JIMMAC;

Rather broad question. The German Army probably had 2000 regiments in 1918, and they moved about quite a lot. I don't think that you will find sound info on a web-site.

Do you read German?

Bob Lembke

Hello, Bob.

nein!!!!!!!! Thanks.

Hello, Bob.

nein!!!!!!!! Thanks.

Jeder Mann must Deutsch gelesen. Es ist nicht schwehr. Ich habe das gelernt am Hause, ohne Schul.

Why not learn it? English is a Germanic language, and there is a lot of related vocabilary. The grammar is complex (actually it is the Latin grammar), but other aspects are not bad.

Do you want to narrow or focus your question? Precise time period, a battle, etc.?

I will be traveling for a few days' so I may not respond for a couple of days.

Bob Lembke

Anyone know of any sites that tell which German Regiments were on the front lines at the major battles in France? Particularly Arras 1918.... The Hindenburg Line.

Hello,

There is a huge work out there, in German, by a fellow named Voight, can't remember his first name--which details the locations of German units down to the Regiment. I've never seen a copy of it, and I know when it first came out it was very, very expensive.

On the internet you might give--

http://www.1914-18.info/erster-weltkrieg-o...eltkrieg-1-eins

--a try, this is Malte's site, and it's packed with information.

You've narrowed down your area of interest quite a bit--1918, Arras area, so it shouldn't be too hard to find the divisions in the area, and build from there.

Paul

It is not much of a narrowing, bearing in mind that that is where huge forces massed prior to the March offensive! - so we still need to be able to focus a little more closely on a time aqnd place.

Jack

I do not have the exact title at my fingertips, but there is a book about the evaluation of all the German divisions of WW1 prepared by the U S Army Inteligence in 1919. It wil be available from the librabry (or inter-library scheme if your local library does not hold a copy). This gives a breakdown of the various divisions and their regiments, where they fought, plus a brief analysis of their fighting capabilites.

Ian

I do not have the exact title at my fingertips, but there is a book about the evaluation of all the German divisions of WW1 prepared by the U S Army Inteligence in 1919. It wil be available from the librabry (or inter-library scheme if your local library does not hold a copy). This gives a breakdown of the various divisions and their regiments, where they fought, plus a brief analysis of their fighting capabilites.

Ian

Ian,

251 divisions....it's unfortunately not always the most accurate.

I found the information on the work I mentioned earlier. Voight's "Deutschlands Heere bis 1918." 7,000 pages of light reading for those nights when we can't sleep.

I see you can buy it for less than 800 euros and a set is available in the States--Ohio. Maybe Bob will buy it instead of volumes 13 and 14 of "Der Weltkrieg," and we can all know what it's like :P

Paul

Biblio Verlag, Osnabruck, Germany Hardcover Biblio Verlag, published from 1980 through 1984, 11 volumes, complete set, as new\excellent condition, no marks, no dust jackets, blue cloth covers, GERMAN TEXT; Volume1 - Die Garde und Grenadier Regimenter 1-12 der preußischen Armee 771 pp; Volume 2 - Die Infanterie- bzw. Füsilier-Regimenter 13-60 der preußischen Armee, 760 pp; Volume 3 - Die Infanterie-, Füsilier- bzw. Grenadier-Regimenter 61-99 der preußischen Armee, 542 pp; Volume4 -Die sächsischen Grenadier, Infanterie bzw. Schützen-(Füsilier-) Regimenter 100 - 108; die badischen Grenadier- bzw. Infanterie-Regimenter 109 - 114; die hessischen Leibgarde- bzw. Infanterie-Regimenter 115-118; die württembergischen Grenadier-, Füsilier- bzw. Infanterie-Regimenter 119 - 127, 504 pp; Volume 5 - Die Infanterie-Regimenter 128-182 der preußischen, sächsischen, badischen, hessischen und württembergischen Armee, sowie die Jager-Bataillone 1-15 und I.-III Seebataillon, 616 pp; Volume 6 - Kavallerie Regiment der Garde du Corps, Garde-Kurassier-Regiment, Leib-Kurassier- und Kurassier-Regimenter 1-8 und Sachsen: Garde-Reiter-Regiment und Karabiner-Regiment 1. und 2. Garde-Dragoner-Regimenter, Dragoner Regimenter 1-26, 779 pp; Volume 7 - Leibe-Garde-Husaren-Regiment, Leib-Husaren-Regiment, Husaren-Regimenter 1-20, 1.-3. Garde-Ulanen-Regimenter, Ulanen-Regimenter 1-21, Jager-Regimenter zu Pferde 1-13 und Reiterdes Feldjager Korps, 796 pp; Volume 8 - Feldartillerie und Fussartillerie, 620 pp; Volume 9 - Pioniere, 460 pp; Volume 10 - Bayern Infanterie-Leib-Regiment, Infanterie-Regimenter 1-23, Jager-Bataillone 1-2, 1. Maschinengewehrabteilung, 669 pp; Volume 11 - Bayern 1. und 2. Schweres Reiterregiment, 1. und 2. Ulanen-Regiment, 1.-8. Chevaulegers-Regiment, 1.-12. Feldartillerie-Regiment, 1.-3. Fussartillerie - Regiment, 1.-4. Pionier-Bataillon, 1.-3. Train-Abteilung, 1-2. Telegraphenbataillion, Eisenbahn-Bataillon, Luft und Kraftbataillon, Flieger-Bataillon.

Jeder Mann must Deutsch gelesen. Es ist nicht schwehr. Ich habe das gelernt am Hause, ohne Schul.
:D

Ich war stationiert in Giessen fur drei Jahren aber ich spreche nur ein bisschen Deutsche. ...und es ist schlechte Frankfurter Deutsch!

Pete Eisen

--mit Vorfahren von Danzig (Eisen), Siegen (Otterbach), und Hamburg (Hirsch)