Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Other Forum members had a similar experience?

kaisersoffensive

Hello All'

I have just returned from a memorable five days spent in Ypres.

For many years I had promised that I would attend the Remembrance service

On the 11 th of November. and this year I was able to do so.

During my stay I took the opportunity to walk around the walls and visited the delightful Ramparts cemetery.

The sun was shinning and it was a beautiful morning, which added to the atmosphere of this enchanting location.

Taking the time to read all the headstones I came across one which caused the heart to race and a genuine raising of the hairs on the back of the neck moment.

It was that of

SNODGRASS, JOHN GRAHAM

Initials: J G

Nationality: New Zealand

Regiment/Service: New Zealand Engineers

Date of Death: 10/12/1917

Service No: 4/209A

Additional information: Son of Jane Elizabeth Lemon (formerly Snodgrass), and the late David Graham Snodgrass.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: J. 5.

Cemetery: RAMPARTS CEMETERY, LILLE GATE

You see I believe that he must have been the inspiration for a poem which is among my favourites. This is contained in a collection of poems selected by General Wavell called

“Other men’s Flowers”(.I stand corrected on this.)

The poem is as follows

Straight to his front........."

Half the world's diameter is far enough

To advance straight to the front.

Eh,Snodgrass?

I see they made you a lance-corporal

not much in that.

oF course they paid you New Zealanders

better-

But you paid best of all.

How did it happen?

What Sapper duty took you off,

Somewhere in that zone of desolation?

What maniac's gadget finished you

In the festering Salient?

Or was it a chance shell?

They dropped like the ungentle rain at the

Lille Gate,

Day long.night long;

No need for a "battle"-

No need for Death to be so greedy.

Along with the experience of the service this will remain with me for a very long time.

Have other Forum members had similar experiences and if so what were they?

I have had many experiences over the years but this July 1st beat them all, I was very moved (shaking from head to toe and back again) while standing in the sunken road at Beaumont Hamel.

Were you in St Georges Church? if so I was the one at the front who had to take my son out because he feinted!

Mandy

Along with the experience of the service this will remain with me for a very long time.

Have other Forum members had similar experiences and if so what were they?

Never quite so stunning as that. It must have been absolutely electrifying. What an amazing experience.

Tom

Surname SNODGRASS

Given Name John

Category British Section NZEF

Regimental Number 4/209A

Rank Lance Corporal

Unit or Regiment Field Engineers

Next of Kin Title Mrs T P

Next of Kin Surname LEMON

Next of Kin Relationship Mother

Next of Kin Address Te Puke Bay of Plenty

Occupation Surveyors assistant

Roll of Honour, St John's Anglican Church, Te Puke

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~s...stjohnsroh.html

Who wrote the poem?

Hello

Very many thanks for all the information.

To tell you the truth I don't know.

I will have to dig out the book from the huge piles cluttering up the study and see if there is a credit.

Will let you know.

Regards,

Bob Norman

Two places that always get to me....Culloden, near Inverness

and the Mur des Fusils in Arras

Bruce

"Other men's Flowers" is a wonderful selection of poetry: all of it committed to memory by Wavell, who compiled the book whilst GOC N Africa during the Crusader Offensive (and it's aftermath).

I don't (I must confess) know the poem referred to, but the book has been a constant companion for 30 years. Probably not in print now, more's the pity.

I have had many experiences over the years but this July 1st beat them all, I was very moved (shaking from head to toe and back again) while standing in the sunken road at Beaumont Hamel.

Were you in St Georges Church? if so I was the one at the front who had to take my son out because he feinted!

Mandy

Hello Mandy

I was in St George's Church but not at the time you mention.

Not until 4 o' clock in the afternoon.

Remember that there may come a time when your son might be required to

assist you during a feinting spell.

Happens in the best organised families these things and usually at the most inconvenient moment.

I can understand your reaction at Beaumont Hamel.

Never fails to move me at other times but 1st July is something else!

Regards,

Bob

Yes I have, Canon Frederick Scott was the best known man in th CEF except Currie, in The Great War As I Saw It he describes being led to an isolated grave on the Somme by a sergeant who dug and revealed the body of his son Captain HH Scott Baupaume Post Cemetery. Then I read Best O' Luck by Alexandre McClintock - see below - and realized the was the sergeant! Hair standing up in deed! Out of millions!

Two places that always get to me....Culloden, near Inverness

and the Mur des Fusils in Arras

Bruce

My daughter won't go near the Mur des Fusils - she says there's too many ghosts!

Ken

I've had similar moments but perhaps not as extreme.

I remember reading my Grandfather's diaries and as a member of the field ambulance was assisting inoculate soldiers in Egypt before the landings at Gallipoli.

Then I happened to be browsing a book with excerpts from soldiers diaries and here is one young lad that describes his inoculation at literally the very same place, day and time.

Although not a huge a coincidence as surely my grandfather assisted in many such inoculations, what makes me always think of this is the fact that this young soldiers diary continues for the next few days into the Gallipoli landings and then stops abruptly.........killed in action.

Tim L.

Bob, I've looked in Wavell's book, but can't find that poem.

Kath.

Hello Kath,

Old age is a terrible thing and plays havoc with the memory.

Now of course you will give me sleepless nights trying to recall where I have seen this.

I will draw some comfort in the fact that I was able to remember some of the lines

(maybe inaccurately?)

Oh dear.........

:unsure:

Yes Kananchaburi War Cemetry on the River Kwai, one could feel the suffering and torment. I have visited many War Cemeteries but this one was the saddest of them all.

Christina

Several years ago we stopped off at Pozieres Cemetery to pay our respects,as we were walking along and reading all the head stones we came across three in a row that made my Husband shiver,the first one was to a soldier named King the next one was an unknown soldier and next to that was a soldier named Clark.My Husbands Father was killed during the fall of Singapore no known grave his name T Clark,his Mother married again to a man named King,to come across three graves that were King-Unknown-Clark was a strange experience,on the way out of the Cemetery a sheet of paper was blowing across the ground,I stoped to pick it up and someone had written the name Sgt.Andrew Kinsella on it.When we came home my Husband rang his Mother and mentioned the name Kinsella as it is a family name,and she said it was her Cousin,which we did not know about.I know that there will be a few eyebrows raised wondering what a tale this is,but this is the truth,I would have no reason to lie.Sgt.Andrew Kinsella has no known grave he is remembered with honour.

Joan

My daughter won't go near the Mur des Fusils - she says there's too many ghosts!

Ken

She could sit in the car park with my wife...she won't go either!

Bruce

Several years ago we stopped off at Pozieres Cemetery to pay our respects,as we were walking along and reading all the head stones we came across three in a row that made my Husband shiver,the first one was to a soldier named King the next one was an unknown soldier and next to that was a soldier named Clark.My Husbands Father was killed during the fall of Singapore no known grave his name T Clark,his Mother married again to a man named King,to come across three graves that were King-Unknown-Clark was a strange experience,on the way out of the Cemetery a sheet of paper was blowing across the ground,I stoped to pick it up and someone had written the name Sgt.Andrew Kinsella on it.When we came home my Husband rang his Mother and mentioned the name Kinsella as it is a family name,and she said it was her Cousin,which we did not know about.I know that there will be a few eyebrows raised wondering what a tale this is,but this is the truth,I would have no reason to lie.Sgt.Andrew Kinsella has no known grave he is remembered with honour.

Joan

Hello Joan

I am very moved by reading your post.

Thank you for sharing it.

Bob

She could sit in the car park with my wife...she won't go either!

Bruce

Mur des Fusils ....I won't go again...it is an awful place. Nowhere, bar a certain room at Hemswell antiques centre (an ex RAF base) has made me feel that I am in the presence of something so dark.

Mick

Ok now I know where you are all talking about, went there this year while visiting Arras Memorial, I did not have a sense of unease just sadness, I would visit it again, possibly next year and see, if knowing now what others have felt, if my senses change.

Mandy

My colleague David Armsbey, who had no real prior interest in these these matters but has now accompanied me on 15 school battlefield tours, listed these as his most atmospheric sites:

Langemark German Cemetery

Mur Des Fusillees

The Wormhoudt Massacre Site (1940) near Escquelbec