Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal Card Interpretation

Guest sandieb

I wonder what information is within the attached medal card which I believe to be of my grandfather. I wonder how I can be sure?

I know he lied about his age to join the army and that made him 14 in 1916! He was exceptionally tall so may well have been taken to be older.

I am a complete novice at this so hope I am in the right place. I have also posted a notice on Rootsweb so hope I can get a bit more info.

Many thanks.

post-16693-1163407898.jpg

• 2 months later...

A belated welcome to the forum -some one normally answers by now!

The card doesnt tell you much but its only the start.

The numbers on the left give reference to the medal rolls (held at the NA.kew) - his papers might be there as well

The card (be its ommission) does make one believe he didnt enter a theatre of war until 1916 ) earlier entries usually show a date in the bottom left corner)

Thank you very much Coldstreamer.

The information you have given me (based on the sparse information on the card) is a great help - in particular the fact that the card (by its omission) suggests that the theatre of war was not entered until 1916 - this certainly tallies with his age.

WHEN I eventually get to the National Archives, I do now have a direction to go in.

Thanks once again!