Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Double cap band

FLOTSAM

Hi All , My father was on H.M.S. Pembroke 13 march 1916 to 15 march 1916 then onto H.M.S. Prince George 16 march 1916 to 14 Sept 1916 . My sister has a photograph of him wearing a cap with two cap bands ? one bears the name of the Prince George then the other is laid on top of this but still allows the name to be shown .The top band has a quite large bow positioned slightly to the left of the left eye . What would have been the signifigance of this , if any ?In anticipation thanks very much . Regards FLOTSAM

Flotsam

HMS Pembroke was the shore base (Barracks) at Chatham,from where new entrants undertook training or were positioned for joining a ship of the line,or just to be part of that "ship's" Company.

It looks to me like his cap was for use on the Prince George,and he might have been having a laugh by making it look like he had 2 ships on the go at once. What does the second ribbon show ? If it is only the bow showing that is normally positioned on the side or nearer the back,so if you can't see a name he's probably having a laugh !

Best wishes

Sotonmate

Hi sotonmate , Thanks for the reply . I thought something like some tradition on passing to a seagoing ship may have been why 2 cap bands. The 2nd ribbon shows nothing , please see attached photo (maybe)

post-16596-1163460570.jpg

Flotsam,

Welcome to the forum, the black band underneath the cap tally is part of the cap.

His dress is not shall I say, ship shape and bristol fashion, there are some mistakes a regular sailor wouldnt make. Do you know when the photo was taken.

Do you knbow what job he did in the navy I carn't see a trade badge on his right arm.

On the 16/03/1916 the Prince George was "Paid Off' at Chatham and refitted to be a Destroyer Depot ship.

Regards Charles

Hi joseph , Thanks for the welcome and the reply . There are some questions about what job (jobs) he did that i would like to know myself . We have a couple of photo's of him appearing to be at the keyboard in the radio room , ie also wearing headphones ? perhaps posed i dont know but we have nothing in writing . The list and numbers on the service sheet meant nothing to me before coming on this site and still do at this point in time. If you could decipher these for me I would be most obliged. It might answer a lot of questions for us. I am attaching photo's of original service certificate. Regards FLOTSAM PS Looks like two more attachments following.

post-16596-1163539387.jpg

Hi,

Thomas joined as a;

Boy 2nd Class

Boy 1st Class

Ordinary Seaman

Able Seaman

Acting Stoker 1st Class

Acting Stoker

What does it say in the Sub Rating column

Regards Charles

Hi Where on the sheet are sub ratings, i only have docs to pages ie 2 sheets - front and back cannot see sub rating col are you asking dates on and off ships? SERVICE NO J 44121 SS 121337 Regards FLOTSAM

Flotsam,

You are lucky having his original Service Certificate, I ask about his Sub Rating because you mentioned him in a Radio Room. There are two other Certificate's available one which is his Service Record and his enlistment form .

His Service Record which may not give you any more information but may also contain Sub Rating is here, download costs 3.50.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...p;resultcount=1

His Enlistment documents could be at the Fleet Air Arm Museum.

Regards Charles

Hi joseph , Thanks very much for information . Service record downloaded ,will try for enlistment documents . Please see attachement

post-16596-1163586667.jpg

Hi joseph , Sorry about that , age is getting me also . Try this homemade version . I've yet to do fleet air arms & the other doc, been busy on this homemade jobbie . I'm not to fast or clever on these computers. Many thanks for your help . Regards FLOTSAM

post-16596-1163672573.jpg

Flotsam,

Well, WKA is a watchkeepers allowance for Telegraphists who work in the main signal room. This is only a guess but I would suspect he wanted to be a Telegraphist and failed the exams but being inteligent transferred to the Stoker Branch as that paid more money. He went into the stokers branch as an Acting Stoker 1st class. A very interesting Service Record of a Boy who joined at 15.

Regards Charles

Hi joseph , Many thanks for that , it certainly answers some questions . I see on his cert of service cheverons awarded ? For good conduct and length of service of 3 years ? I've now got the document for when he transferred to stoker ,but it is not as good as the one I duplicated before so I'm going to duplicate this also . I have yet to send to Fleet Air Arms Museum for enlistment doc , it was said that he ran away from home to enlist . Would he have had other jobs to do other than the wireless room . I will post other documents when i have them duplicated as you may be interested to see them .Thanks once again Regards FLOTSAM