Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

MIC help please

Rich-Sheffield

Cab anyone tell me if the card has anything to add to what I already know about my G-Grandfather.

Details as I know them:

Gunner James Naylor No. 15787

108th Heavy Battery R.G.A.

Fought overseas from Aug 1914 to end of war, have his 3 medals including the 1914 bar.

Survived the war.

Thanks

post-16668-1163358643.jpg

the card doesnt say where he first served - if your copy is clear and says 1a its France/Flanders

the card doesnt say where he first served - if your copy is clear and says 1a its France/Flanders

The fact that the Card says Clasp & Roses to the 1914 Star means it can't be anywhere else other than France/Belgium ;)

Steve

I can't add anything else but interestingly this is the MIC for my Great Great Uncle. Although it doesn't say 108th HB RGA like yours, John was attached to 108th when he went to France. As you can see the entry into theatre is the same day. Who knows, they might even have be buddies?

post-11503-1163772761.jpg

Just this week I have discovered his service papers at Kew, which I need to try and get my head around at some point.

mrfish

><((((*>

Hi guys,

I missed your first post re 108 HB. Cant add to the mics but just to let you know I have the full diary for this battery if you want lookups you can PM me. Its quite funny reading as Its written in a very lay back book style on ordinary paper rather than the more official ones I have seen. The battery was disciplined for its ‘lack of disipline throughout particularly falling out of line on marches’ and ‘overall failure to salute Officers’. One gunner was given 28 days field punishment for being drunk on duty. They were also involved when two German generals and staff were forced to take evasive action when stray shells landed near them fired by the 108th to much to the right. They turned to go in another direction and were forced to take evasive action again when another stray shell from the 108th sent them running. This happened three times. Hillarious stuff as none of the shells were intentional but all accidental. And this is only in the first month! I do not mean to be flippent but its refreshingly different reading with a human touch that differs from the usual more official ones.

Paul

Brilliant stuff! Don't suppose its online is it?????

Never having read a war diary, it'd be great to read one that my g-grandfather served in for 51 months.