Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

identification on clothing

Aurel Sercu

This may be an unusual futility, but I really have no idea what to think of something... However, I suppose that members who know more about Great War uniforms and clothing or similar issue...

My question : If a document says that remains of a soldier were identified by means of : "Clothing & Braces marked ......" (and then a service number and bn. + regiment), how should I visualize this ?

What I mean is : were all (or most) braces marked officially, by means of a stamp, like often on spoons ? Or is it more probable that the soldier had written these data on the braces himself, in indelible ink or aniline pencil, as we have found on a groundsheet.

Aurel

Aurel,

From the experiences I have had with marked military clothing and equipment it was usually done by the individual soldier and not as part of an official program.

German items of clothing had specific stamped marks that identified the regiment in some cases, the Army Corps clothing depot number. Since much of the clothing could be issued to a variety of men from different Corps areas it would be almost impossible to personalize them.

I can only speak of what experiences Ihave had witha limited number of uniforms and equipment and primarily the German Army. I do not know anyhting on British uniforms or equipment so I will leave that part to the other experts on the forum.

Ralph

Aurel

The markings were almost certainly put there by the owner, a practice that is still carried out today by many soldiers. I still have my army braces somewhere with my name and the last three figures of my number on them.

Terry Reeves

Thanks, Ralph and Terry.

(Ralph, I should have made clear that it was about British clothing indeed. )

Aurel

Aurel,

Marking of clothing was codified. It was suppopsed to be marked in specific places with Regiment or Corps and number with or without date of issue.

Examples would be:

Jacket on inside right facing with Regiment or Corps and number with date of issue. Marked 1/2 inch stamps using paint.

Braces would be marked with just Regiment or Corps and number on the webbing in 1/2 stamps using ink.

The shirt would be marked Regiment or Corps and number on the tape at the base of the opening with 1/2 inch letters using ink.

This was the official practice. as the war progressed it became far more common to just use indelible ink and mark any approriate lining peices of the jacket with handwritten details such as number, name, unit.

I've attached a photo showing a set of braces officially marked, note the shirt is not marked. also note the unofficial way of wearing the ID tag.

Joe Sweeney