Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

489 Siege Battery Royal Garrison Artillery

Guest rhos

My grandfather served in 489 Siege Battery RGA, almost certainly on the Western Front. At least I think that is the number of the battery. It's written in pencil on the back of a photo, in rather faint, shaky writing. I've looked on the Long Long Trail website, but cannot find any reference to that particular unit. Does anyone have any information. I would love to find out where and how he served. He refused to say anything about his experiences after the war, to anyone, even my grandmother. I have found his army record, but it doesn't tell me much. I hope someone can help. Rhos

Welcome rhos.

I for one would like to see what service records you have for your grandfather. Sorry I cannot add anything about 489 Siege Battery.

Regards Kevin

Rhos,

Again welcome to the Forum. All that I can tell you is that 489th(Siege)Battery,Royal Garrison Artillery were formed on the 14th August 1917 at Deepcut, Surrey, and were disbanded on the 10th November 1917 and the men were sent overseas to reinforce other artillery units.

Graham.

Welcome rhos.

I for one would like to see what service records you have for your grandfather. Sorry I cannot add anything about 489 Siege Battery.

Regards Kevin

Welcome rhos.

Regards Kevin

Thanks for your reply Kevin. Actually it's not a service record, but a medal record from the National Archive site. I can give you more detail if you want it but you probably know all about it.

Regards,

Rhos

Rhos,

Again welcome to the Forum. All that I can tell you is that 489th(Siege)Battery,Royal Garrison Artillery were formed on the 14th August 1917 at Deepcut, Surrey, and were disbanded on the 10th November 1917 and the men were sent overseas to reinforce other artillery units.

Graham.

Graham,

This is really helpful, thanks. It fits in with the little I know about what he did.

Regards,

Rhos