Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

MIC

Dave T

Grateful if a Pal could offer some advice.

I am currently researching a friends Grandfather's war service and we have managed to locate his MIC. However, I am confused as the MIC only records the details of his service with the MGC and not his early war service with Post Office Rifles. He is fairly certain that he had service prior to 1915 as he has in his possession the Princess Mary "Christmas tin" which to me would suggest that he was serving 1914 - but I stand to be corrected if my assumption is wrong!

Is it possible that his previous service was not recorded on the MIC and he has two? Would the actual medal rolls show his early service?

Any advice/views gratefully welcomed.

Dave

The "Star" information and VM/BWM details SHOULD be on the same card. In practice, that didn't happen as we have seen a decent % of men's entitlement split across two cards. This was usually down to a slight error in the name on the card.

Who are you looking for?

Steve.

Steve,

Thanks for your reply.

The man in question is James Charles Howard 98434. My friend is fairly sure that he had pre-war service from about 1912 possibly with the territorials.

Dave

Chaz,

Thanks for the link, but this is the MIC which I already have and which has led to the head scratching as it does not show any previous service. The problem we have is if there are two cards for him is obtaining the right one as there quite a few James and James C, with low service numbers serving with London Regts.

Dave