Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

4th Battalion Middlesex - Oct 1915

MatthewT

Does anyone know what battle the 4th Middlesex Regiment fought in on or around the 9th October 1915. I am trying to help a work colleague identify as much detail on a Private John Luderman G/9387 who died on this date. (is the G/9387 is service number???) Many thanks in advance. Matt

Does anyone know what battle the 4th Middlesex Regiment fought in on or around the 9th October 1915. I am trying to help a work colleague identify as much detail on a Private John Luderman G/9387 who died on this date. (is the G/9387 is service number???) Many thanks in advance. Matt

Apologises, can someone also do a SDGW look up on John for me - thanks

Matt

4 Middx were part of 8 Brigade 3 Division at the time you refer. The 9th October was just a few days prior to 3 Divs involvement in three battles simultaneously. From the 12th October La Bassee and Messines were kicking off,and on the 13th Armentieres began. You might find that a pre-attack artillery barrage was under way,though I haven't seen this I wouldn't be surprised if there was heightened shelling from both sides,or probing patrols at night etc,both inducing casualties.

One way to get the actual picture is to seek the War Diary for 4 Middx. It is WO95/1422 and covers operations to the end of October 1915 and is available to read at the National Archives Kew,though some kind soul on the Forum may have info specific to your needs without needing to visit !

Best wishes

Sotonmate

Matt

4 Middx were part of 8 Brigade 3 Division at the time you refer. The 9th October was just a few days prior to 3 Divs involvement in three battles simultaneously. From the 12th October La Bassee and Messines were kicking off,and on the 13th Armentieres began. You might find that a pre-attack artillery barrage was under way,though I haven't seen this I wouldn't be surprised if there was heightened shelling from both sides,or probing patrols at night etc,both inducing casualties.

One way to get the actual picture is to seek the War Diary for 4 Middx. It is WO95/1422 and covers operations to the end of October 1915 and is available to read at the National Archives Kew,though some kind soul on the Forum may have info specific to your needs without needing to visit !

Best wishes

Sotonmate

Sotonmate.

Many Thanks