Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

720 pounds for a war medal?

Terry

Has anyone been able to figure out why ebay item 2202934328 on the UK site, a single war medal to a corporal, Royal Artillery, is currently listed at 720 quid?

Went onto eBay as I just had to see it for myself.

Why it is £720 mystifies me - can't find the recipient on CWGC. It doesn't look like someone has made a mistake either as the bid goes from £100 steadily up to its present price. Are there a few people out there who know something about the recipient we don't?

Has anyone been able to figure out why ebay item 2202934328 on the UK site, a single war medal to a corporal, Royal Artillery, is currently listed at 720 quid?

I think it is some sort of mistake.

There is a complaint in feedback saying simply "Fools".

Look at the feedback on the buyers, sellers, and bidders. You'll see that sallys-knickers and wcvinc are buddies.

Immortal serialkiller didn't pay up on an item being sold by wcvinc.

So it appears to be a touch of revenge.....

It could get nasty, though. I was under the impression that a winning bid is a legal contract.....??

Guest Ian Bowbrick

One of the people who bid on this auction is a member of this forum :o

Yes Pete, winning bids are contracts but I have had a number of people who simply don't honour their bids - that is why there is a Non Paying Bidders programme which works on 3 strikes and you are out policy.

This is why using an auction sniping house can be dangerous as well. It will place an automatic bid on your behalf at a certain time in the auction until it hits the winning amount - Steve (hmsk212) is that right?

Ian

Ian

As I use it, you input the maximum amount you are willing to pay for an item, and eBay will bid up to that amount. Works, too, as I've lost out on several books when the headcases start bidding over and above what the book is worth!!

Hi Ian,

Richard is right, Auction Sniper will only place your maximum bid if the price has not already been hiked up past your own limit. It is, however, a useful tool should you be out when an auction is due to finish. It can also be useful as you can place literally a last second bid on a lot that no-one realises that you are interested in thereby not allowing them the time to counter your bid amount. The main thing is to set a limit to which you are prepared to go and then to stick to it as with any auction.

Cheers

Steve

I've seen it all now.

I thought the tops was the bloke who paid £190 for a replica MM, and there was another chap last year who bid on a *RARE!!!!!!!!!!!!! World War One Victory Medal*....trouble was it was a WW1 VM but it had a WW2 Defence Medal ribbon on it.

Well you know the saying about fools and money......nobody ever seems to do it when I sell anything though. :D

[sniping software] can also be useful as you can place literally a last second bid on a lot that no-one realises that you are interested in thereby not allowing them the time to counter your bid amount.

I've used sniping software (www.auctionstealer.co.uk) to good effect placing a bid in the final 10 seconds of an auction but there's nothing quite like the 'auction house' buzz of sniping a bargain at the very last minute by hand.

Gary