Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Apologies if you were at Thiepval 11/11/11...

Max Poilu

Yes, just after the last post and about 5 seconds into the minute's silence my 6 month old son decided to blow the biggest raspberry he could muster! Immaculate timing.

If any forum members were there I say sorry. However, spending Armistice day in the Somme was magnificent, the ceremony at Thiepval was well attended by both local dignatries, towns-people and a large British contingent. A piper and a superb bugler added to the atmosphere. As we were bathed in glorious sunshine it was hard to imagine the scene 85 years earlier as many puzzled Tommies, Poilus' and Fritzs' realised it was all over...

Yes, just after the last post and about 5 seconds into the minute's silence my 6 month old son decided to blow the biggest raspberry he could muster! Immaculate timing.

If any forum members were there I say sorry.

Never any need to apologise for things like this, Giles. I'm sure many of the boys whose names are inscribed would have found it amusing.

My 2 year old loves music and always shout's "Again!" whenever it stops if he particularly likes it. This includes the Last Post ceremony at the Menin Gate. If anyone was to look round in disgust, I believe it's them who shouldn't be there, not my son.

Dave.

I've heard much about him, but didn't know him personally, John. He was a "friend of a friend" who asked me to "publicly" remember him this Remembrance day. (He was probably also known to a certain person whom many on this forum may have met - my mate certainly is!).

Dave.

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Richard Absolon lived up the road from me. Got the MM for taking out an Argentine sniper and was killed just before the war ended from a mortar round.

He is buried at the Aldershot Military Cemetary, along with other of his comrades including Sgt Ian Mckay VC of 3 Para.

RIP

Ian

My 2 year old loves music and always shout's "Again!" whenever it stops if he particularly likes it. This includes the Last Post ceremony at the Menin Gate

That brings a smile Dave - nice story.

I have to add that what was more embarrasing than my son's raspberries was my wife and I trying not to collapse in fits of giggles - as you say, I am sure the old boys would have laughed too - I hope!