Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

help with reuniting medals please (ebay split)

chip

hello all,

i wonder if anybody could help me please.

i recently saw a split ww1 pair for sale on ebay and decided to bid for them in order to keep them as a pair, which i succeeded in doing.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...p;rd=1&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...p;rd=1&rd=1

shortly afterwards i received an email from one of the other bidders stating that they have the 1914-15 star to complete the trio but as i seemed intent on buying the medals, they pulled out of the bidding. he offered to sell it to me and of course i am thrilled to be able to runite the trio again.

heres where the problem starts. ebay wont let me contact this other ebayer as it thinks that i am sending spam or such like, because i have had no buying activity with this ebayer. if i dont reply soon this fellow is going to think that im not interested.

im hoping on the off chance that he is a member of this site or if someone would volunteer to contact him on my behalf somehow.

his name is paul and his ebay id is murra828

any help would be greatly appreciated, many thanks, john.

Hello John,

Have you tried clicking on his user name in the bid history for the BWM, that will bring up his feedback, and there is an option there to contact member.

You will have to enter a security code for you to send your message.

Have used that option many times and never had a problem.

Regards

Peter

hello peter,

yes ive tried this option but for some reason it wont let me contact him.

although earlier in the day i contacted a different ebay member in this manor with no problems. it must be an automatic antispam thing i assume.

all the best, john

John, not a problem.

you can either check his name /user name and there should be a link, or a link through search by bidders name and pick up something he has bought/sold in the past. OR best still check out if he is selling and go to sellers other items and ask a question with a note to that.

do you use a mail account supplied by your operator, as if you check 'full headers' maybe come up with his details, sometimes transfeerring to outlook express will give it

We have determined you are trying to contact an eBay member with whom you are not currently involved in an open transaction. For the protection of the eBay community, we sometimes block these types of communication. To prevent this occurrence from happening in the future, we recommend the following:

If you are a seller, respond to all bidder questions before the auction ends.

If you are trying to contact the seller of an item that has not yet ended go to the item page and click the “Ask seller a question” link.

If you are the winning buyer of an item go to your My eBay page under the items I’ve Won section. Click the action drop down menu and choose the “contact seller” action.

If you are a seller trying to contact your wining buyer, go to My eBay and under the Items I’ve Sold section, click the action drop down menu. Choose the “contact buyer” action.

Reply to seller/bidder through personal email provider (if the sender has not hidden their email address).

Thank you for your understanding.

this is all i get everytime and he doesnt have any items for sale.

awkward!

only other things to suggest is wait until he contacts you again, when you answer make sure you havnt ticked a box anywhere that says hide your email address.

or if he was that interested , you could submit an item for sale with his details included in description, the medal details and a WARNING 'please contact me do not bid' in the message

pass his name over and we will have a look

John,

give it another try, sometimes it works after a rest.

Ask another member of Ebay to send message on your behalf - i've done this & it worked.

It seems first contact is allowed but subsequent are blocked.

Kath.

just got a reply,

he wants £37 for the 1914-15 star, seems a bit expensive to me but i have to have it to make up the trio.

what does a usual trio cost for the cyclist corps? any ideas.

many thanks, john.

£82 for a cyclist trio seems a reasonable price, they do not appear too often, he has got you over a barrel anyway. Knows you want it and could have asked a lot more.

At the end of the day medals are worth only what you are prepared to pay for them. The good thing that has come out of it, is that a group has been reunited. Well done for your perservence.

Regards

Peter

Well done, I am glad the trio will soon be back together.

What I would have done, is looked to see if the seller was selling any other items, and sent him a message through another item,

Glad you got him in the end.

La Pettsy

thanks for the advice.

in for a penny.....as they say!

i got the bwm and victory yesterday in the post, very nice condition.

it will be great to reunite the trio again, old Albert will be pleased!

ill post a pic when i can.

there are a few numbers in the remarks box on his mic, ill post it on the site later to see if anyone knows what they mean.

many thanks again, john

• 3 weeks later...