Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

South Staffordshire Regiment

Jon6640

Hoping for a bit of a steer from forum members. I am trying to trace the men from my village (Cheslyn Hay in Staffordshire) named on the village memorial, one is Private C HICKMAN.

Village records from the time of the memorials erection state he was a Private in the South Staffordshire Regiment. CWGC name the following C HICKMAN's as S.Staffs Reg

HICKMAN, CHARLES Private 17928 23/05/1916 Unknown South Staffordshire Regiment United Kingdom Bay 6. ARRAS MEMORIAL

HICKMAN, CHARLES Private 10618 13/11/1916 Unknown South Staffordshire Regiment United Kingdom Pier and Face 7 B. THIEPVAL MEMORIAL

Any ideas how I can conclusively trace the right one?

post-14888-1162981598.jpg

I'm seeking information about a Private Amos Broadstock, no. 10558, of the 2nd Bn South Staffordshire Regiment who died on 26th March 1917 aged 42. Husband of A. Broadstock, of 33, Haskell St., Walsall, Staffs. Son of John and Mary of Greets Green, West Bronwich.

He was born in West Bromwich and enlisted in Wrexham and before the war was residing in Pentre, Flint, Flintshire.

He was buried in the Etaples Military Cemetery, France.

This information was from the CWGC, SDGW and 1891 & 1901 census.

I would be grateful for any military details and if his name is on any Staffordshire memorial.

Regards

Peter

Jon6640

10618 Pte Charles Hickman, 2nd Battalion, was born in Bilston and enlisted in Wolverhampton.

17928 Pte Charles Hickman served in the 9th (Service) Battalion. He was born and lived in Cannock and enlisted in Hednesford. I would guess that he is your man.

Details from the regimental volume of "Soldiers Died in the Great War".

Jon6640

10618 Pte Charles Hickman, 2nd Battalion, was born in Bilston and enlisted in Wolverhampton.

17928 Pte Charles Hickman served in the 9th (Service) Battalion. He was born and lived in Cannock and enlisted in Hednesford. I would guess that he is your man.

Details from the regimental volume of "Soldiers Died in the Great War".

Chris,

You are a superstar!

Jon

Chris,

A little cheeky but the same reference source states a William Bowen, possibly William Robert as South Staffs but I can't trace him either!

Jon

• 9 years later...