Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Searching for a Mr Bridges.

aliecoco

Hi,

I wonder if anyone would mind helping me on researching a soldier. I have looked on the CWGC website but he is not there. I just wondered if he would be on the Soldiers Died CD Rom.

His name is Francis Bridges and he died on 16th July 1916 during the battle of the Somme. His parents are Eliza and Frank Bridges. This is all the information I have on him.

Why would someone not be on the CWGC website? Is it best to go to the PRO and look up the medal role index?

Any help would be great, and then I could help my friend out!

Thanks.

Alie.

There's a Richard Francis Bridges kia on the 18/7/16, but otherwise no frank / francis between 10 - 20th July '16 kia f&f.

Medal Rolls?

Simon

Hi Simon,

Thanks alot for that info. I will report back to my friend with what you have said. Perhaps after all this time the dates her family have given her are wrong, or indeed his first name was Richard!

Cheers

Alie.

Alie

SDGW as we already know shows only 18120 L/Cpl Richard Francis Bridges KIA 18.07.16 11th Bn. Royal Fusiliers (City of London) Regiment.

Born Bow, enlisted St Paul's Churchyard, resident Bow.

CWGC confirms this and gives no further details.

On to the 1901 census a search for Richard Bridges gives 9 results with one showing civil parish of Bow and Bromley.

Further details from others in the house are 64 Usher Road, St Mary, Stratford, Bow. Mother: Eliza C Bridges. Head of household. Employed at home as a Vest Machinist. Age 44, born City, London. Condition as to marriage, Widow.

Next comes Richard F Bridges age 7 born City, London.

and then

Rosetta E E Taylor. Daughter. Single. Age 20, born Mile End, London. Working at home as Vest Machinist.

From my experience it was very common for people to have a first name that they didn't use and instead use their middle name, my own family included in this practice! As for the very small discrepancy in the date, again very easy to do - once you start researching names on memorials you find so many mistakes you take it for granted, we are only human.

This to me seems like your man.

Regards

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Thank you so much for that you are an absolute STAR! I really appreciate the time you have taken!

You are right I am sure because I forgot that Frank Bridges was Eliza's second husband. The fact that the 1901 census says she was a widow really 'fits'! Also the family now live in Essex. Being born in Essex I know that alot of Essex people have an east London background.

Its a bit complicated but my friends auntie's uncle was Francis, or should I now say Richard! The auntie is still alive and remembers him. My friends mother, whose grandmother was Eliza is also still alive. (They are sisters). The family have tried to look him up a few times, but to no avail. My friend knows how interested I am in WW1 and told me about him.

I can't wait to speak to my friend and let her know what you have discovered. I will now start trying to research and read about the 11th Bn. Royal Fusiliers!

Thanks so much again.

Alie.