Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Armistice related

Will O'Brien

I've just had a curious email from my brother-in-law who has asked me a Great War related question.................much to my chagrin, I don't know the answer...........however I'm sure there's a GWF Pal out there who does....................The question is what is a Maroon?...............Perhaps I should put it into context............My brother in law has just been watching part 1 of Churchill's bodyguard. Walter H. Thompson (he was the bodyguard) describing the armistice is heard to say 'as I went into Whitehall a great crowd had gathered as the maroons banged at 11am to signal the end to the hostilities they began to sing'......Anybody have any ideas?

Will,

In the Navy a Maroon was a signal flare.

Regards Charles

It's an explosive device that takes on different forms depending on where and when it's used.

Myrtle

Maroon Rocket

* Audible and visual alarm or warning signal

* For day and night use

* Loud report and bright flash

We used them for man overboard.

Regards Charles

I agree Joseph. I always understood that a 'Maroon' was a type of Naval/Miltary Flare/Signal Rocket.

Terry. W B)

In the days before mobile phones and pagers it is what some RNLI stations used to summon the crews to a call out.

One signal for the Coast Guard and two for the lifeboat IIRC.

In the days before mobile phones and pagers it is what some RNLI stations used to summon the crews to a call out.

One signal for the Coast Guard and two for the lifeboat IIRC.

Still being used at Swanage in the late 1990s - a most impressive bang, you always knew when the lifeboat was going out because there'd be a big WALLOP! sort of noise, and the windows would rattle - and this was several hundred yards from the lifeboat station!

Adrian

I was told some years ago in Cornwall that they stopped putting up maroons when the local lifeboat crew was first issued with pagers, but started again after people on shore asked for a maroon to be fired when the lifeboat launched — so that they knew when to offer up a prayer for its safe return.