Preston Albert Watson

chrisharley9

Please can any one help me with any further details on this chap

Name: WATSON, PRESTON ALBERT

Initials: P A

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Naval Air Service

Date of Death: 30/06/1915

Additional information: Son of Thomas and Jane Yeaman Watson, of Dundee; husband of Beatrice Philip Watson, of 1, Osborne Place, Dundee.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: 8. 75.

Cemetery: DUNDEE WESTERN CEMETERY

From East Sussex Records Office

Reference: COR/1/3/149

Creation dates: 1 Jul 1915

WATSON

Scope and Content

Preston Albert of Dundee, Flight Sub-Lieutenant, Royal Naval Air Service, stationed at Eastchurch, 34; fall with his aeroplane while flying between Eastchurch and Eastbourne, crashing in Dunlye Field, Cross-in-Hand; accidental death

The Dundee Roll Of Honour

Retreat, Perth Road, Dundee

Chris

Hi Chris,

Just another small snippet

Watson,P.A.

Born 17th May 1980 at Dundee

Royal Aero Cert No 1117 at London & Provincial School, Hendon on 16th March 1915

Appointed FSL 29th April 1915

Hope this helps

Regards Duncan

Duncan

my thanks for your help

Chris

Chris

Flt Sub Lt P A Weston, of Eastbourne Naval Air Station, was accidentally killed while flying in Caudron G.III No 3266 on 30 June 1915.

I hope that this helps

Gareth

Gareth

Thanks very much

Chris

• 1 year later...

Hello,

I've just uncovered this thread and although it has been a considerable time since the last post I thought you may be interested in seeing a photograph of Preson Watson. The photo comes from a book called "Victorian and Edwardian Dundee and Broughty Ferry" by Peter Adamson and R.Lamont-Brown and was published on behalf of the Dundee Museum and Art Gallery by Alvie publications of St Andrews.

post-16112-1198284673.jpg

The caption for the photo reads

"Preston A Watson, the Edwardian avaitor taken in 1914.Watson began building a bi-plane in 1903 at Belmont near Dundee.It was a wire and wood construction with a 10hp Santos Daumont 2-cylinder engine.The undercarriage of the plane resembled a large pair of skis and were greased with lard.In the summer of 1903, 6 months BEFORE the Wright Brothers made the first recorded flight, Watson's plane made a test flight. Hoisted by means of ropes and pulleys into trees, it was catapulted, engines running, some 100-150 yards before landing.In 1908 a second plane was built, powered by a 30hp Humber engine with a four wheeled undercarriage. It has a successful flight at Errol. Watson's third and last plane, was built in 1913 and competed in open competition in Paris where its design was awarded a safety diploma.Preston Watson joined the Royal Flying Corps at the outbreak of WW1, and was killed in a training accident at Eastbourne. He was buried July 5th 1915 in Dundee's Western Cemetery"

regards

Ian

Ian,

Many thanks for posting the bit about Preston Watson. I'd like to say that it was perusing something academic when I chanced upon the story of him...but I wasn't :) , I was flicking through my nephew's copy of Time Tram Dundee (quite a good, wee, animated book about the history of Dundee - primarily aimed at children...I quite enjoyed it though):

http://www.dundeecity.gov.uk/timetram/main.htm

and there was a small article on Preston Watson. I noticed his death was annotated as 1915 and so I looked up his details on the CWGC. I was principally looking into his military credentials, and could not find out much more about him, so it was good news to see the small article posted about him. I found it both fascinating and interesting that Dundee had its own pioneering aviator in Preston Watson, and a quick search of his name brings up a fair bit about his alleged 'first flight', and the aircraft that he designed/built.

Aye

Tom McC

Excellent to see aphoto of the chap - thanks very much

Chris