Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

War time football

stevew

Just reading another post that mentioned Bolton winning the FA Cup, I was just looking at the records and noticed that the FA Cup was played for in 1915 (Sheffied United beating Chelsea 3-0), I am also guessing that there was full league competition as well.

It seems strange that competitive matches took place during the first year of WW1. Does anyone know when it was decided that football would be suspended??

It seems strange that competitive matches took place during the first year of WW1. Does anyone know when it was decided that football would be suspended??

And what of horse racing? Did it continue for the whole of the war, or did the General staff need the horses for cavalry to terrorise the German machine guns?

I did read that the 1915 Grand National was run at Gatwick, due to troops being billeted at Aintree. The old Gatwick Race Course became Gatwick Airport.

Imagine that, 'planes full of Americans putting down where the Grand National was once run!

This question was covered in an earlier thread about Great War footballers. The major competitions were wound up after the 14-15 season.