Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Co Durham Memorial search

chris basey

This man was with the 175th Tunnelling Coy RE and died 5th September 1915. Entries in CWGC and SDGW but unable to trace his name on a UK war memorial.

Possibilities:

Born: Brandon Colliery; 1901 Census: Shildon; resided: Southchurch; enlisted: London

Various web searches have been unproductive so would appreciate help from, perhaps, someone with a good knowledge of Co Durham.

Look forward to hearing from you, Thank you!

This man was with the 175th Tunnelling Coy RE and died 5th September 1915. Entries in CWGC and SDGW but unable to trace his name on a UK war memorial.

Possibilities:

Born: Brandon Colliery; 1901 Census: Shildon; resided: Southchurch; enlisted: London

Various web searches have been unproductive so would appreciate help from, perhaps, someone with a good knowledge of Co Durham.

Look forward to hearing from you, Thank you!

Noticed you mentioned South Church, which is Bishop Auckland, Shildon is only about a mile away. At St Andrews Church, South Church, Bishop Auckland is a war memorial and under the Royal Engineers is T. Foster which is possibly your man. I have attached a photogrpah of the war memorial and the column with his name.

John

post-14035-1162907355.jpg

John

That looks to be the man - many, many thanks for your help.

Regards

John

That looks to be the man - many, many thanks for your help.

Regards

Chris

Main photograph of memorial did not come out with my first message, I have attached the photograph with this reply. Unfortunately it was a overcast day when I took the photograph.

John

post-14035-1162980306.jpg