Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medals

TAZORII

Dear All,

I have another request, would anybody be able to tell me the stroy behind the Mons Star medal (4th from Left). I suppose It was awarded to my Great Great Uncle during the battle of Mons, prior to the Battle of l'Aisne? Any info would be welcome.

Cheers

Graham

post-16218-1162686223.jpg

The 1914 Star (a.k.a. the Mons Star) was the first of the Campaign Medals awarded during the Great War, and was awarded to those who had served in in France and Flanders before midnight on the 21st November 1914.

Whilst known as the Mons Star, a man did not necessarily have to have served at the battle of Mons itself. A man arriving in France or Flanders a 11.30pm on the 21st November would have qualified.

A Clasp (and a "Rose" for the ribbon when worn without the medal) was later created to designate those who had been "within range of enemy mobile artillery" (i.e. in or about the Front line) before the qualifying date. Unless killed, men (and ladies) had to apply for these, and some of those who qualified never had the clasp that they were due.

Most of the men who were awarded the medal were serving soldiers or reservists at the outbreak of war. Those awarded the medal were known as "the Old Contemptibles".

Nice set of medals!

Steve.

Steve,

Thank you for your help. I suppose that my Great great Uncle did fight at Mons as he was captured in Oct 1914 near Frelinghien. Need some history books on the 1st Rifle Brigade to find this out.

All new to me.

Again, thank you for your help.

Regards

Graham

We have at least one Rifle Brigade expert here. He may well help you out if he sees your post.

Steve.

London Gazette 30-1-1920

His: Majesty the KING has been graciously pleased to approve of the award of the Military Medal to the undermentioned Warrant Officers,

Non-Commissioned Officers and Men for bravery in the Field, whose services have been brought to notice in accordance with the terms

of Army Order 193 of 1919. To be dated 5th May, 1919, unless otherwise stated: —

RIFLE BRIGADE.

4859 Coy./S.M. Walwyk, E., 3rd Bn. (Tipperary).

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveVi...;selHonourType=

I have seen somewhere that a good portion of the 1920 M.M.s were in relation to escaping POWs.

I assume this is him too ?

LG 16-5-1922

28th Bn., Lond. R.—Ernest John Meno Van Walwyk (late A./R.S.M.) to be Qrmr., with the rank of Lt. 29th Apr. 1922.

LG 3-6-1927

CENTRAL CHANCERY OF THE ORDERS OF KNIGHTHOOD,

St. James's Palace, S.W. 1,

3rd June, 1927.

The KING has been pleased, on the occasion of His Majesty's Birthday, to give orders for the following promotions in, and appointments to, the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire :—

To be Officers of the Military Division of the said Most Excellent Order:—

Quartermaster and Lieutenant Ernest John Meno Van Walwyk, M.M., 28th London Regiment, Territorial Army.

LG 29-4-1930

28th Lond. R.—Lt. (Qr.-Mr.) E. J. M. Van Walwyk, M.B.E., M.M., to be Capt. (Qr.-Mr.). 29th Apr. 1930.

LG 4-10-1936

28th Lond. R.— Capt. (Qr.-Mr.) E. J. M. Van Walwyk, M.B.E., M.M., having attained the age limit retires and retains his rank, with permission to wear the prescribed uniform. 4th Oct. 1936.

There are also WW2 entries for Reginald Van Walwyk, D.F.M.

Steve.

Assuming that he was 3rd Battalion, as per his M.M. entry, he would have been in 6th Division who didn't fight at Mons (the Division had been held in Reserve for the original Expeditionary Force). The Division landed at St Nazaire in early September and went straight to the Aisne.

http://www.1914-1918.net/6div.htm

Steve.

Steve,

Wonderful information you have come up with. Very interestting. I'll take more time to read everything when printed out.

"At the outbreak of the Great War found him with 3rd Battalion in Ireland. He proceeded to France on September 8th, 1914 as Colour Sergeant in the 3rd Battalion, was promoted C.S.M on october 13th and taken prisoner at the battle of the Aisne on october 21st. He was interned in Doebritz camp until 1916 when as an exchanged prisoner of war he was sent to Holland where he remained until the Armistice. While at doebritz Camp he organized and became bandmaster of an Allied POW band."

extract from EJMVW Obituary by H.R.S (?)

Since I have read this, I have established that he was not taken POW during the battle of l'Aisne but at Frelinghien. He was sent to Lille then to Gottingen, Cassel (Hesse-Nassau), Soltau (Basse-Saxe), Grosenwerdermoor, Venlo & finally The Hague. In his memoires he does not mention Doebritz.

Great stuff.

Steve,

I am rather confused regarding the army jargon. What I understand is:

My Great great uncle was in the Rifle Brigade (The prince consort's own).

6th Division

17th Brigade

3rd Battalion

(is this the correct order?)

What about n°1, 2, 3 & 4 company.

Could you explain?

If he did fight in the Aisne where would it have been?

Thank you for your help

regards

Graham

Steve,

As regards to WW2, Van-Walwyk Reginald Alfred was a F/O in 100 Squadron His A/C Lancaster JB674 collided with another A/C ? on return from Berlin 16/17-12-43 known as Black Thursday.

Thank you for your help.

great stuff!

Regards

Graham

Dear All,

Seems that my posts don't post? Anyway here attempt n°2:

Thank you for all your help. I still need to clear up the whereabout of my GG uncle during the battle of the Aisne. Any ideas where the rifle brigade fought?

Thank you once again for everything

Graham

Just a couple of observations:

1. 'In accordance with Army Order 193' definitely is for medals awarded in association services whilst in captivity, including escaping

2. The MBE on display isn't necessarily the one he was given, as that is a post-1936 type; in 1927 he would have received the version with seated Britannia rather than the King and Queen in the centre and it would have been a dark crimson ribbon with a scarlet centre stripe

3. The order's 3rd Battalion, The Rifle Brigade; 17th Brigade of 6th Division. Going to the Long Long Trail Home page and searching on divisions and regiments will give all the info.

4. He should also be on the Queen's South Africa medal roll at the National Archives. He won't have been in South Africa with 3rd RB if he was with the RB; 1st, 2nd, 4th, 5th and 7th Bns were there. Medal rolls are WO 100/210 for the 1st, 2nd & 4th; WO 100/211 for the 5th and 7th. These need a trip to Kew to see them.

• 2 weeks later...
Dear All,

Seems that my posts don't post? Anyway here attempt n°2:

Thank you for all your help. I still need to clear up the whereabout of my GG uncle during the battle of the Aisne. Any ideas where the rifle brigade fought?

Thank you once again for everything

Graham

For the 3rd Rifle Brigade ... a bit of info on their brief stay on the Aisne, where they were used to reinforce troops of the 2nd Division,

On 4 August 1914 the 3rd Bn Rifle Brigade were in Cork. On the 18th August they were in Cambridge and then moved to Newmarket. 12.9.14 the Bn landed at St Nazaire and headed for the Aisne front ..

The Battalion War Diary reads as follows:-

1.30 p.m. 21/9/14 14 miles S. of Dhuizel. Battalion marches into Dhuizel and billeted.

4.30 p.m. 21/9/14 Dhuizel Battalion relieved the 1st Royal Berks Regt. in the trenches 2 miles N. of Soupir ... which became known as 'Rifle Point' or 'Riflemans Point'

22/9/14 In trenches. 2nd Lieut. G.W. Sherston severly wounded and 2 Riflemen killed, 2 Riflemen died of wounds 1 Rifleman dangerously wounded 11 Riflemen severely wounded 6 N.C.O.'S and men slightly wounded 1 Rifleman missing.

23/9/14. A & D Companies on the right relieved by Coldstream Guards. 3 N.C.O.'s and men killed 3 N.C.O.'s and men wounded.

25/9/14. Attack on German trenches by "C" Company and part of "B" Company under Major A.D. Boden.

Major A.D. Boden and Lieut. M.K. Mackenzie (K R Rifles) missing Captain P.A. Kennedy wounded, 2 Riflemen killed, 1 Rifleman died of wounds 26 N.C.O.'s and men wounded 23 N.C.O.'s and men missing

Night 25 - 26/9/14. Battalion supported by S. Stafford Regt

28 Sept 1914 – recce of enemy positions – mapped by Lt C Swan – [map now in 44th Brigade RFA diary!] hoped to assist artillery support from 47th Battery. recce by Lt Swan, Sgt Hornby (Scout Sgt), Corporal Wheeler, Rifleman Lawler, Rifleman Appleton.

[Lt C T E Swan, Sgt Richard Hornby (1482), Corporal Wheeler, Rifleman Lawler (1087) kia06/09/1915; Rifleman Appleton (9311) kia 4/1/15 ].

1st Oct – relieved by 2/South Staffs and back to Bourg billets .. soon after heading north I believe

that may be of interest

I also see in the Rifle Brigade Chronicle for 1912 Sgt Walwy seems to have been quite a good shot.... representing the Bn in the Duke of Connaught Rifle Shooting Cup, and in the Bn shooting team at Bisley (under that same Lt C Swan - see above) - he won £2 in the 'Barlow' competetion. In the All Ireland Army Rilde Meeting he won 10/- in the warrant Officer/Sgts competition (coming 9th) .. and more .. theer may eb more on him if you can find someone with the 1913 or 1914 Chronicle - even a photo perhaps...

David

• 16 years later...
On 05/11/2006 at 00:23, TAZORII said:

Dear All,

I have another request, would anybody be able to tell me the stroy behind the Mons Star medal (4th from Left). I suppose It was awarded to my Great Great Uncle during the battle of Mons, prior to the Battle of l'Aisne? Any info would be welcome.

Cheers

Graham

post-16218-1162686223.jpg

Hello Graham, 

not sure if you’ll see this as you haven’t been active in many years but the man you refer to is my husband’s great great grandfather and we would love to find out more about any other pictures and medals you have or know about his time serving! 

• Admin

Welcome to the forum. @TAZORII hasn’t visited the forum for many many years, but my tag may alert them to your post.

Dear DEgar & Michelle Young,
Thank you for your posts, Indeed not been active for a while... got side tracked and got lost in the history of the SOE (WW2). needless to say, here I am again and if in anyway I can help it would be a pleasure... I have informed those who helped me back in the day and please feel free to ask any questions you have...

not sure if there is a private message service, if there is i am sure we would be able to get in contact out side of the forum... any historic info could still be shared for others interessed.

Regard,

Graham

• Admin

Welcome back Graham. There is indeed a private message system. Just click on the name of the member you wish to message, then click on the envelope icon.