Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Morphine

Marco

Doeas anyone know if morphine came in anything other than the ampules you had to break off? Did it also came in small (5ml) bottles?

TIA!

Regards,

Marco

B)

Hi Marco,

yep - the morphine ampoules were packaged. They were normally wraped in white cotton wool, which was then put into a short but thick/stout cardboard tube. This normally had an estra plugof cotton wool or a wadding to stop it moving around, this was then sealed over with brown paper tape, and lastly, the instruction sheet ws pasted over the lot of it!

Hope this helps,

GWRCo

Marco

I would think that all drugs to be given by injection would have had to be produced in a form that was sterile, safe, leakproof and free from future contamination. I can't see that the sort of glass bottle in the picture would have fitted the bill in any of those ways. Morphine was available in a form to be taken orally, but then would have come in much larger bottles. I've often thought that the large ampoules of Morphine would have been unwieldy to use and keep after opening, and [perish the thought] could have been put into other containers, but, if your bottle came up at auction as a perfume bottle, I might be tempted to bid!

Regards - Sue

Very true Sue. The only reservation I have is that it is very small for a parfume bottle, isn't it? Or am I too much an 'Old Spice by the liter man'? :D

Serious, the bottleneck is not 'made rough' (don't know the correct English phrase) that you usually see when a bottle is closed by a glass stopper. It does however have a rim similar to that we have these days on bottles/vails in our laboratory so they can be closed with a crimp-cap septum. This septum can then be pierced by a needle.....

Regards,

marco

Marco

I have asked a few people over the last 24 hours about the start date for bottles with a rubber septum, but haven't found anyone old enough yet who remembers! The general consensus is that it was not happening widely prior to WW2, and became more important following the general use of antibiotics. But perhaps you have more historical information on that. I've got a few bottles in front of me now - blue poison, white medicine, perfume etc. and the only one that is rough on the inside is the blue poison, although the others must have originally had glass stoppers - or possibly cork, but less likely I think. As for the size of your bottle - I think it would fit very nicely in a ladies travelling case for upper class grand tours of Europe!

Sue

Marco,

From the picture the bottle looks very like a dropping bottle. The stopper may have a thin line cut halfway down and the neck a thin line from midpoint to the bottom of the neck. When you line up the ' grooves ' you can drip very small amounts out. They were used for dripping ether onto a mask. I have one in the Chemistry lab at school but not as old as your one. Designed when anesthetics became used in the late 1880s.

Aye

Malcolm

I saw a morphine ampule on a television programme hosted by Richard Holmes.

The glass ampule was quite large - about the same diameter as a test tube (the type you used in school) but only half the length. The glass was 'pinched' at both ends and contained one heck of a lot of morphine.

RH said that enough morphine was in each ampule for more than one soldier. The full contents would only be used "to send a badly wounded soldier on his way [or words to that effect]."

The morphine contents appeared yellow - but this may be because of age.

Sue, I took care to avoid the word 'rubber septum'. I also believe rubber is from a later date. But since condoms were once made of goat-stomach (or whatever) I'm pretty certain they had something in those days other then rubber that worked as a septum :rolleyes: Interesting observation on there not being many roughened bottlenecks. It could indeed have been a cork stopper....

Malcolm, unfortunately there is no groove that would make it a dropper.

Teapot: those are the ones I know too. It's defenitely not such one. Do you have a clue on their content in ml? Guessing I would say 5-10 ml.

Unfortunately it's impossible to search the internet on the markings 'TM' for obvious reasons :D

Thanks for your interesting replies.

Regards,

Marco

ps. I've been sometimes accused of being cold-hearted. This forum proves them wrong: I was notified that I had put 'too many emotions' in my message!

Teapot: those are the ones I know too. It's defenitely not such one. Do you have a clue on their content in ml? Guessing I would say 5-10 ml.

Well a teaspoon is 5ml. I have to say that the ampule I saw on the television programme looked more like it was at least 10 ml - maybe quite a bit more.

I remember being amazed at how big the ampule was. But I am guessing. Sorry.

Whats this about condoms made from goats !!....did you have to wear the whole goat ?....or did he kindly donate his stomache to a good cause ;)

Phil..

Interesting to see how within 14 messages we ended up from WW1 morphine to 'Two men' parfume wearing goat shaggers.... And I for the world can't tell where it went wrong... :rolleyes:

Regards,

Marco

I'm working at present [tea-break!], but have grabbed some glass ampoules and will try and post a photo later - I think it will show that the WW1 ones held well in excess of 10 mls.

p.s. Ampoules are water/saline - not willing to get arrested.

Sue

This shows a 2ml ampoule, a 5 ml one, and a 20 ml multi dose vial. Couldn't find a 10 ml one, but they really are relatively small. I seem to think that the large WW1 Morphines are much bigger.

Sue