Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Menin Gate painting

Bellflower

A few years ago we stayed at the Ariane and I seem to recall a painting/print of the Menin gate at midnight with a ghost battalion around it . Can't remember what it was called or who it was by, but I'd like to get a copy. Can anyone help ?

Bellflower,

Googling with "Menin Gate at Midnight" certainly produced a dozen or more hits. (Though many (most ? all ?) were postcards.

Aurel

I have had this for years and was one of the first things unpacked and put up in my new house, from afar it looks like stalks of corn until you get up close then you see the ghosts, a very moving painting, the origional is in Oz.

Mandy

Thanks for the replies everyone , but the one I saw wasn't the Longstaff picture. I recall that it sort of looked down on the gate and the arch was right in the centre of the picture.

I promise that next time I am at the Ariane ...

But maybe other pals will be there before me ?

Aurel

I promise that next time I am at the Ariane ...

But maybe other pals will be there before me ?

Aurel

Thanks.I'd like to get a print if I can. It's one of those pictures that stays in the mind.............

Longstaff created a mini-genre: he produced several in the style of Menin Gate, including Vimy, and the Cenotaph. I have decent reproductions of them all. The original is in the Australian War Memorial: awe-inspiring.

Thousand of copies were sold in Oz after the war.

• 3 weeks later...

I think this one is Longstaff's. I was and still am very much drawn to it.

Seem to think the poem attached somehow went with it. Not sure, but hope to be corrected.!

Susan.

post-8059-1164552633.jpg

Man_at_Arms_poem.doc