Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Rank pips

KILTY

I've been looking at the designs & colours of officers rank pips the crowns & diamonds ( I don't know if this is the correct term for them) but what I would like to know: is the insignia on them universal throughout the army, or do the various regiments have their own design.

I hope this makes some sense.

Kilty :huh:

Guards regiments all(?) have their own design of star (as they call them), which are based on the appropriate order of chivalry; for example Coldstreamers use a copy of the star of the Order of the Garter, the Scots Guards a copy of the star of the Order of the Thistle, and the Irish Guards a copy of the Order of St. Patrick. I'm not certain what the Welsh Guards use, or for that matter the Grenadiers (although I suspect the latter use the Garter like the Coldstream do). Other regiments use the standard design, I believe. I'm sure someone else more knowledgeable will come along and tell you that the Royal Blankshires have their own version, however, as the British Army, as I'm sure you know, delights in its indiosyncricities!

I believe. I'm sure someone else will come along and tell you that the Royal Blankshires have their own version, however, as the British Army, as I'm sure you know, delights in its indiosyncricities!

No reference material to hand, but IIRC the Middlesex Regiment wore a "pip" called an "Eversleigh Star". At least one other infantry Regiment did too. Was it the South Wales Borderer's?

• 1 month later...

Kilty

It means "three joined in one" and is the motto of the Order of the Bath. It is believed to be an allusion to England, Ireland and Scotland.

Terry Reeves

I'm not certain what the Welsh Guards use, or for that matter the Grenadiers (although I suspect the latter use the Garter like the Coldstream do).

They do. So do the Welsh.

Dave.