Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sgt Paskin Coldstream Guards

treetop

Been sitting with a lovely lady today who showed me a watch inscribed with an award for gallantry in action of the Croix de Guerre in 1914-18.We think it was for bravery in the battle of Mons. It was for the ladys father and all he ever said was it was for 'taking back the empties' when at the Front. Clearly a man who played this down a little but we were wondering if anyone could point to details,possibly publication, of the act which caused this award to be made?T.I.A.

Here's when he was awarded it:

London Gazette 17-12-1917

The following are among the Decoration and Medals awarded by the Allied Powers at various dates to the British Forces for distinguished services rendered during the course of the campaign: —

His Majesty the King has given unrestricted permission in all cases to wear the Decoration and Medals in question.

Decorations and Medals presented by

THE PRESIDENT OF THE FRENCH REPUBLIC.

Croix de Guerre.

12725 Lance-Serjeant (acting Serjeant) Oliver John Paskin, Coldstream Guards, attached Trench Mortar Battery, Guards Brigade (Stafford).

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveVi...;selHonourType=

Also in same list:

Lieutenant (acting Captain) Colin Bain Marais, Coldstream Guards, Special Reserve

Lieutenant (acting Captain) Henry John Raymond Brierly, Coldstream Guards.

Captain Arthur Oswald James Hope, Coldstream Guards.

Lieutenant Thomas Folliott Powell, Coldstream Guards, Special Reserve.

4946 Company Serjeant-Major (acting Drill Serjeant) John Augustus Badger, Coldstream Guards (Caterham Valley).

S761 Private Edward Ball, Coldstream Guards (Plymouth).

13575 Lance-Corporal Robert Joseph Cooper Coldstream Guards (Bourne).

1028 Company Serjeant-Major (Drill Serjeant) Charles Edward Fox, Coldstream Guards (Windsor).

Croix de Guerre awards were sometimes "Paired" with awards by the British Army, with two awards being given for the same action.

The last man on the list above (C. E. Fox) won a Military Medal, Gzetted on 27-10-1916, most likely won during the Somme battles in July 1916. Lt. Henry John Raymond Brierly won an M.C. Gazetted 18-2-1918 psssibly for gallantry at Cambrai in November 1917. Captain Arthur Oswald james Hope was awarded an M.C. in the New Years Honours of 1918. I would lean towards an award won at Cambrai personally, but I have no concrete evidence to back that up.

Steve.

Oliver John PASKIN Serjeant 12725 Coldstream Guards. Born 3rd May 1891 at Stafford. Appointed to Durham County Constabulary 21st October 1912 at PC874, 3rd Class Constable. 4.11.1912 Stationed Jarrow. 1.5.1913 2nd Class Constable. 16.7.1913 At Jarrow Police Court, the Mayor of Jarrow presented him with an ambulance certificate for which he qualified in a recent examination. February 1914 Transferred to Southwick, Sunderland. 10.9.1914 Resigned to join HMF. 7.4.1915 Entered France. 8.4.1919 Re-admitted as a 6 year constable PC465 stationed Jarrow. November 1929 Station duties. 16.10.1933 Transferred to Hylton Colliery as additional constable. 31.3.1939 Retired on pension. 26.8.1939 Re-admitted as 1st Police Reserve number 0101 stationed Jarrow. 30.6.1942 Resigned from 1st Police Reserve. 25.8.1964 Died. Would you please pass this history on to the lady you were talking to, I realise she may already have it but you never know. If she has a photograph of him, (police or army uniform) I would appreciate a copy. John

John,

Obviously a Police research expert!

I appreciate that different forces records are in different places and conditions, but how is the best way to approach Police research, please?

Steve.

John,

Obviously a Police research expert!

I appreciate that different forces records are in different places and conditions, but how is the best way to approach Police research, please?

Steve.

Steve

If you know which force he served in, contact that force and they will let you know where their records are held. Many of the old records are held at the local PRO, but some forces have retained all records. Many of the old Borough forces have disappeared, the way to find the records is to look to the area they were located and which of larger forces now exist for that area and contact them. I had a problem viewing the records for some forces as they had 75 and 100 year closure on public viewing. Send a letter to the Chief Constables of those areas and they will give you permission to view the records. Some of the records are in large registers, but others on cards or large sheets of paper. The main information is date applied to join police, what occupation they had, where living, married (Some give wife's maiden name, childrens details and when and where married) any previous military service (some forces record the mans regimental number, regiment and dates served). Date joined force and collar number, places served, sickness, promotions, defaulters, commendations, gallantry medals if any, date of retirement and some date officer died. They will not allow you to view an officers history if he has retired but is still alive.

John

London Gazette 17-12-1917

The following are among the Decoration and Medals awarded by the Allied Powers at various dates to the British Forces for distinguished services rendered during the course of the campaign: —

His Majesty the King has given unrestricted permission in all cases to wear the Decoration and Medals in question.

Decorations and Medals presented by

THE PRESIDENT OF THE FRENCH REPUBLIC.

Croix de Guerre.

12725 Lance-Serjeant (acting Serjeant) Oliver John Paskin, Coldstream Guards, attached Trench Mortar Battery, Guards Brigade (Stafford).

Steve.

Many thanks Steve and hett,most interesting.I have printed info off and will pass by early next week. Cambrai interests me as she said not the big battle (Somme) but maybe Mons but as that was in 1915 and awards were end of 1917 the Cambrai battle seems logical.Anyone know if this was one of the main campaigns for Coldstream Guards? He must have been lucky to survive from April 1915 into theatre and out again in 1918. Will have more time to check about web tonight but thanks all for input.

We do have a least one Coldstream Guard expert on the Forum, who will hopefully drop in and help.

I assume you have his Medal Card?

Medal card of Paskin, Oliver J

Corps Regiment No Rank

Coldstream Guards 12725 Lance Corporal

Coldstream Guards 12725 Serjeant

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...p;resultcount=1

His number would seem a little later than a pre-war regular, which he would need to have been to have fought at Mons (the first battle of the War on 23rd August 1914). After that Mons was way behind German lines until the very end of the war.

This link shows the major battles the Guard Division fought in from late 1915:

http://www.1914-1918.net/gdiv.htm

As you can see Cambrai was one of their main battles in 1917 (The other being the 3rd Battle of Ypres from 31-7-1917.) The basic premise of the battle was a large attack by the British towards Cambrai backed by hundreds of tanks on 20th November 1917. The British managed a comparatively major breakthrough but were counter-attacked by the Germans on 30th November 1917, and driven back to where they started.

Before that they would have been in 1st or 2nd Division, depending on which battalion:

http://www.1914-1918.net/1div.htm

http://www.1914-1918.net/2div.htm

(All the Guards battalions transferred into a specially designated Guards Division in August 1915.)

There may be a mention in the Guards Division Trench Mortar Battery War Diary at the NA:

WO 95/1204 Divisional Trench Mortar Batteries 1916 Aug. - 1919 Jan.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalog...;accessmethod=5

Steve.

He was in the 2nd Battalion and went to France on 7th April 1915 as a Lance corporal

number implies joined 21/9/14

Mons award it isnt ...

I have had a trawl through the war diary but nothing stands out - sorry

Thanks again guys. The watch has April 1915 inscribed on it as his arrival in France. Enough to get me more interested and yr contributions appreciated.

• 16 years later...

Hello everyone, the gentleman’s you’re referring to; Oliver John Paskin, was my great grandfather. He was my fathers, mothers, father. I sadly never got to meet him, as he died long before I was born, and would’ve been 105 at the date of my birth. It’s warming to see how much of an impact he made, and that all this time on, the records of his bravery are still accessible.

welcome to the forum

ill recheck my notes as alot has changed since 2006!!

I do like to see the  old threads still providing info for people

Hello

given I can only find one Paskin serving in CG in Ww1 and that this post war number is in the right range I’d say this is him

60AD4941-60E8-4414-A093-99BF751DC880.jpeg.1b7d0cc51b5c7aaa8f9ed0668ae6c3ab.jpeg

Image from FMP

So discharged 20 sept 1926 so likely enlisted 20 sept 1914 with 12 years service 
my spread sheet data base suggests it was the 21st ! 

Yes

1915/15 star war Medal and victory plus cdg 

The cdg is unusual to the CG , I have only seen a handful for sale in 30+ years .

From memory about 50 awarded in ww1 to the regiment and mostly to officers