Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Searching for a Book

kaisersoffensive

Hello All

Can anyone guide me to or suggest where I might obtain a copy of the paperback "Covenant with Death" by John Harris.

Not certain if that is the author but remember reading it many years ago and considered it to be a good read.

Have just finished Ben Elton's book which was disappointing.

Many thanks,

Bob Norman

Hi,

We managed to purchase a soft back copy that was printed in 1980 from a well known auction site,managed to buy it cheap as it was being sold under the crime story book section?maybe whoever was selling the book thought it was a crime that so many men lost their lives in one day,if that was the case,then I totally agree with the sellers description.

Yes the book was written by John Harris and we hope you manage to obtain a copy.

regards

Joan

Hi,

We managed to purchase a soft back copy that was printed in 1980 from a well known auction site,managed to buy it cheap as it was being sold under the crime story book section?maybe whoever was selling the book thought it was a crime that so many men lost their lives in one day,if that was the case,then I totally agree with the sellers description.

Yes the book was written by John Harris and we hope you manage to obtain a copy.

regards

Joan

Hello Joan

Many thanks for the courtesy of your reply and help.

Regards,

Bob Norman

I brought this book up on the forum a few days ago about how difficult it is to find and how expensive copies are.

Theres one here

http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/BookDeta...D0%26sortby%3D3

Mick

Hello Mick

Many thanks for your speedy response.

They are asking £32.00 for this copy which I will have to pass on.

Seems an awful lot so will wait for a more modest copy to surface.

Regards,

Bob Norman.

The claim that the photograph was by Frank Hurley could perhaps be revised to say that some the photographs were by Frank Hurley. There is some controversy over the picture. One theory even says that the soldier is Hurley himself. Hurley tended to stage images and also produced composite images from a number of negatives. They are dramatic and effective but not necessarily accurate. Some prints have been identified as containing 10 and more part images. After his death his effects were noted to include over 300 negatives/plates of "sky" clearly for use n composites.

Hi Bob,

I have found a copy for sale at WWW.antiqbook.com priced at 15 euros,not sure how much you are happy to pay

regards

Joan

Hello Joan

Never wishing to appear a skinflint I'ii have a go for this.

Very many thanks for your reponse.

Regards,

Bob Norman

Have just finished Ben Elton's book which was disappointing.

Bob Norman

Kaiserslacht,

I have also recently finished the Ben Elton book.

I was astonished at how not bad it was - if that's English...... Considering Ben Elton is someone I have loathed for two decades (never met him though, I must confess. Doubtless he's nicer in the flesh...) the book was a suprise.

If you're wondering why I read it, a colleague at work saw my computer wallpaper (that famous picture of the soldiers on the duckboarding amidst a blasted wood - dashed if I can remember the famous photographer, who was on the Shackleton expedition!) and offered it to me, saying that as I was interested in WW1, I might like this book. I gave it the first two chapters - and whilst not enthralled, it was a sufficiently sympathetic effort and free of many of the misconceptions and dogma that I expected to encounter from such an author that I read it to the last page.

I think the photographers name is Geoffrey Malin,one of the most famous of photographers of WW1 images.

kindest regards

Joan

I think the photographers name is Geoffrey Malin,one of the most famous of photographers of WW1 images.

kindest regards

Joan

Fraid not, it was the Australian, Frank Hurley <_< .

I have a paperback edition which I must hang on to if the value's going up like that. But I first read it when I got it out of Preston library in the early 70s. Perhaps your local library might find you a copy, if you just want a read and not an investment.

Good book, by the way.

cheers Martin B

whoops,sorry about the bad mistake,I just seem to forget that Geoffery Malins was not the only great photographer during WW1,I would like to apologize if I have offended anyone.

kindets regards

Joan

Hi Bob,

I have found a copy for sale at WWW.antiqbook.com priced at 15 euros,not sure how much you are happy to pay

regards

Joan

Hello Joan

Well I have done the deed and the item should be with me for Christmas.

It will go on the top of the huge pile of books waiting to be read.

Thank you for the source information.

Bob

Hello Bob,

Glad you managed to obtain a copy,should you ever come across a book History of the 7th Service Battalion Yorks and Lancs Regiment (Pioneers),perhaps you could keep me in mind.My Grandfather served with the Regiment and I am after a copy,the price could be high but I would be willing to pay.

regards

Joan