Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help wanted!

Guest air

My Grandfather served in the King's Own ( Royal Lancaster Regt.) 14822, 6th Bn.

Could anyone who has some knowledge of these things give me some insight into exactly which regiment this was?

He died 9th February 1917 and is listed on the Basra Memorial. Given this date can anyone tell me which campaigne he was killed in, I know he was involved in the battle of Mesopotame, but i believe this was several battles.

I would be grateful of any and all help, I am trying to get this information for my Mother.

Many thanks

Air

If you go to the mother site (The Long,Long Trail) and click on Units of the Army and then Infantry you will find Kings Own (Royal Lancaster Regiment) there is a lot of excellent information that will start you of with your research

Information from SDGW- your Grandad enlisted at Stockport.

Regards Doug

SDGW = "Soldiers Died in the Great War".

Published in 1921 with facsimile copies since. In 80 parts plus a separate volume for officers. Each volume deals with individual Regiment or Corps, and lists those who died, giving dates, locations, army number. Not 100% accurate, but an excellent record. ISBN 1 871505 01 1 to 1 871505 80 1. Obtainable from IWM, or as a searchable CD-ROM from Naval & Military Press. The latter, price now over £250 I think, is an invaluable tool if you are doing a LOT of research.

Each branch of the Western Front Association has a copy.

Air

Soldiers Died In The Great War and Officers died in the Great War is a database on CD Rom listing all those who died during the Great War.Although not always totally accurate it gives basic information.

Your Grandads information is listed as follows-

Kings Own (Royal Lancaster Regiment)

6th Battalion

Surname-Mulville

Christian Name-Thomas

Born-Birkenhead

Enlisted-Stockport

Died Date- 09/02/17

Died How-Killed In Action

Theatre Of War- Mesopotamia

Rank-A/SGT

No-14822

Regards Doug

Looks like Chris beat me to it while I was typing :D

Doug

Firstly, I am sure you will be proud that the British Forces in Iraq chose to hold a ceremony of remembrance at the Basra Memorial this year. During recent years at least one Iraqi has made the effort to try and ensure that the panels on the memorial were not badly damaged by vandalism. Some of them were even removed/buried to ensure their survival.

The Mesopotamia campaign has not generated a plethora of literature unlike the Somme etc.

An email enquiry to the department of printed books at the IWM (Imperial War Museum) in London will result in a reading list or lists around the C|ampaign and your interests and the public library system/inter-library loans (or a visit to the IWM) will enable you to consult these books. There is also the Public Records Office at Kew, now the national archive which will hold items like battalion war diaries. Other threads on this forum explore the PRO/NA in greater depth.

Picking two accounts out there is "The Long Road to Baghdad" by Edmund Candler (2 vols) and The Official History of the Great War Mesopotamia Campaign (4 vols) by Brig. General F J Moberley.

This particular unit were involved in the Battle (Siege) of Kut-al-Amara covered in volume 3 of the official history. Other books covering this siege are Siege by Russell Braddon and Death of an Army - the siege of Kut by Ronald Millar. The latter is a fairly easy read.

The 6th were key players in an attack on 9th February 1917 on the Dahra Bend positions held by the Turks spanning about two miles along the River Tigris from the hairpin bend encompassing Kut. There is an excellent map and account in the official history vol. 3. The 6th suffered heavy casualties that day. The forces engaged that day suffered 367 casualties of which just over half were in the 6th Kings Own. Typically about a third of these casualties would be fatalities. The Turks are thought to have lost more heavily with over 200 killed.

I hope this is helpful.

Martin

Martin, Doug and Chris,

I would like to extend my heartfelt thanks for you taking the time to find this information for me. I am very grateful and I'm sure my Mother will be also.

Best Regards

Ian aka air :)