Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Two queries about a Medal Card.

maudarby

Hi

This is my first posting on this site and I have 2 questions about a medal card.

At the top of the card X Essex (hard to read but I'm sure it is Essex) R 1682 Pte.

In each angle of the X is a dot. What does this mean?

This person was in the Imp Camel Corps

Corps of Hrs? (Index says Hussars)

2nd question Printed at bottom of card Action Taken--list e(could be a c) y/918. To what does this list refer?

Thanks to this excellent site I think I have worked out what dates and numbers refer to.

Any help very much appreciated.

Hi

This is my first posting on this site and I have 2 questions about a medal card.

At the top of the card X Essex (hard to read but I'm sure it is Essex) R 1682 Pte.

In each angle of the X is a dot. What does this mean?

maudarby,

In answer to your first question, the symbol next to his Number / Rank /Regiment, tells us this is what his medals were engraved with. This is usually the first regiment he served with.

Sorry don’t no what the other reference is for.

Hope this helps

Tom

The reference at the bottom is likely to read SWB List/{Reference} referring to the Silver war Badge granted to those men who had served and were no longer able to (often due to wounds or sickness).

The references can be used to look up his entry in the SWB "Medal" Rolls at the National Archives at Kew which may give more info., such as date enlisted, date discharged, unit discharged from, and whether served overseas. Depending on the type of card, this info may already be on the MIC you downloaded.

The Corps of Hussars entry is due to a reclassification of cavalry later in the war. he wouldn't necessarily have change unit. The ICC was part of that Corps.

Steve.

Hi Tom

Thanks for the info about the X with dots

Hi Steve

The medal card that I have has the rubber stamped box on the right hand side with Victory, British and

15 star. No mention of a SWB possibly because this person wasn't discharged until April 1919.

On the left hand side is

Date of application. (d) badge (B) medal

No of file

Address of applicant

Action taken list e (could be c)y/918

I did try and copy the image but it didn't work.

Many thanks for your help.