Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

JOE SWEENEY PLEASE

Muerrisch

Here is a relatively clear image of another unusual cross-hatch pattern. Also nice to see the Signals badge worn on an arm band - blue perhaps?

post-6040-1171547477.jpg

Grant

What sort of Tunic is this - is it the Australian pattern? the exposed pocket buttons and what looks like lower bloused pockets caught my attention...and it really is an extreme X X X pattern isn't it

Chris

Chris,

Yes he is wearing an Australian jacket. He is Private Stanley Shaxton Adlard 4426 46th Bn, and he does not appear to have been a signaller (but I am still researching)

post-6040-1171588484.jpg

Here is a relatively clear image of another unusual cross-hatch pattern. Also nice to see the Signals badge worn on an arm band - blue perhaps?

Grant,

If the conventions of SS135 are being followed then:

Regimental and Company Signallers---Blue Band

Bands to be 1 1/2" wide made from locally obtained material, and worn round left fore arm.

Joe Sweeney

Chris,

Yes he is wearing an Australian jacket. He is Private Stanley Shaxton Adlard 4426 46th Bn, and he does not appear to have been a signaller (but I am still researching)

Why wouldn't he be a signaller?

Chris Henschke

Couldnt he be a trained signaller at platoon or Battalion level ? Doesnt have to be in a signal Coy or does he ??

I would have expected to see some mention of him being a signaller in his records. However, it may be an indications that he was trained as a signaller in the entry:

2/4/16 Allotted and Proceeded to Join 47th Bn ex No 2 Trng Bn Zeitoun

I am aware that signallers did do training at Zeitoun.

I'll keep looking.