Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Forgotten Voices of The Great War - Illustrated Edition

salientpoints

Sorry for the short notice but if any pals are in the London area on Wednesday 1st November there is a short play / actor based extracts from the new illustrated edition of the hugely successful Forgotten Voices of the Great War taking placed at the Imperial War Museum.

If anyone is interested please ring Caroline Newbury at Ebury publishers on 0207 840 8730 - there is a small drinks reception at the museum from 6pm and the play / extracts start at 7pm should be finished about 8.15pm

ISBN 009191227X rrp £12.99

Cheers,

Ryan

post-1391-1162288134.jpg

Call me cynical, but I'm not sure what all the fuss is about. It's likely a revised edition that includes a few extra photos and illustrations that we have all seen before. Don't get me wrong, I quite like 'Forgotten Voices', and I have the greatest respect for Max Arthur, but had this been cobbled together by anyone other than the established ranks, then it would have been panned by critics and historians alike for the cheap and nasty reworking that it is. Shame on you Max Arthur, and the IWM, for exploiting the mass market without offering anything new. The most difficult part must have been selecting the images to choose.

Dave

Call me cynical, but I'm not sure what all the fuss is about. It's likely a revised edition that includes a few extra photos and illustrations that we have all seen before. Don't get me wrong, I quite like 'Forgotten Voices', and I have the greatest respect for Max Arthur, but had this been cobbled together by anyone other than the established ranks, then it would have been panned by critics and historians alike for the cheap and nasty reworking that it is. Shame on you Max Arthur, and the IWM, for exploiting the mass market without offering anything new. The most difficult part must have been selecting the images to choose.

Dave

Each to their own. I believe anythng that helps keep the topic at the fore of the general public can only be a good thing. I believe general criticism of these type of products misses the point in that the masses need this kind of thing to make it accessible. Why do you think mainstream tv programmes on similar subject matter are usually no more than about 30 to 50 minutes.

I suggest anyone that gets a chance to, looks at this new working. It is a lot simpler in terms of presentation, and yes has illustrations, images and colour aimed more I would say mainly "young adults" as a lighter introduction to the topic and by doing this opens the work to a new market (yes more money for publishers) but if it gets a new generation interested in remembering what is the harm? Indeed many of you may even purchase it for younger members of the family for Christmas.

Cheers

Ryan

Hello Ryan,

Many thanks for your kind and dignified response . I do see the potential merits in Mr. Arthur's work, and hope it is successful in bringing the history and experiences of war to a wider and younger audience.

Best Wishes,

Dave

Hey Dave, thanks for your response - and I don't even work for the publisher :)

If anyone is at Passchendaele Book Fair on 11th I will have a few copies of this with me - obviously along with a load of other stuff!

Cheers

Ryan

• 2 weeks later...

I saw the book in our local Asda store priced at £7:50. Agree that it is superbly illustrated and well worth the price.

I have remarked on another area of the forum that I wished I had not bought the original version. and purchased this one instead.

Marketing ploy did come to my mind, If this was a re released music cd with a couple of extra tracks on it I think marketing WOULD Have been an issue.

But as you say if it reaches a wider audience that can only be good thing

Cheers

Paul