Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Charley's War

daveo

I could not find a thread relating to this on the Forum and thought it would be a good place to get an opinion If it has been discussed then please point me in the right direction.

I have just recently acquired the re-release in hardback of "Charley's War" by Joe Colquhoun and Pat Mills originally published in "Battle" comic in the 70's and 80's. The story of a young man who lies about his age and joins up in 1916 to be thrown into the slaughter of the Battle of the Somme. I read most of these as a young boy and can honestly say that the stories and the stark detail of the pictures and scenes sparked my current interest in the Great War and further led to my continuing passion for History. The stories still continue to captivate me and the artists work is fantastic to say the least.

I could go on but I won't just thought I would throw it out to anyone who has read them or remembers them and if you would like to see what I am talking about if you have not seen it see below.

http://charleyswar.tripod.com/index.html

Regards Daveo

Of course book reviews must have thrown me off being a comic :D

Oh well maybe no one has heard of it or no one thinks much of it never mind each to their own

Kind Regards Daveo :lol:

Hi Daveo

There is a thread on this which was generally favourable:

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...showtopic=23510

Was Charley Bourne any relation to George Bourne, navigator to the intrepid Matt Braddock VC and bar, RAF, I wonder.

cheers Martin B