Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The HS or HMS Pieter de Conick

bcarleton

Am interested in getting some information about this ship and especially wonder if any manifests are available for its operations cross Channel during WWI.

I know my great uncle was evacuated from a field hospital to a hospital in the UK in June 1917, and know he was on this ship. I am suspecting some other people I am researching could have been on the same ship.

Any ideas or help to point me in the right direction would be appreciated.

BC

BC,

It would appear that Pieter de Coninck was a 1,767 grt passenger steamer built in 1910 and owned by the Belgian government.

Best wishes,

Michael

BC,

Pieter de Coninck was one of 6 ships of the Belgian Marine that where used as Cross Channel Transports, its Master was Acting Commander H. de House Belgian Marine. I have the Timetable for the sailings for the 1 - 15th June 1917, if that helps.

Regards Charles

BC

If this was a scheduled cross-channel ferry in 1917 there would probably have been a passenger list for the Board of Trade lodged at Dover on arrival.

I have checked the BT26 series at the National Archives and have no hits on the vessel Pieter de Conick.

I will keep peeking though.

Best wishes

Sotonmate

Michael, Charles and Sotonmate,

Thanks for the feedback. I'm interested in the embarkation of anyone with the last name Barley for 20 June 1917. A record I have indicates one or more of the Barleys would have been on board as a medical evacuee or passenger that day.

I'll try using the term 'cross channel transports' on some of my searches as well at KEW.

BC

BC

PIETER de CONICK was one of four Belgian Government Mail Steamers used as Ambulance Transports. The others were JAN BREYDEL,STAD ANTWERPEN,and VILLE DE LIEGE. They had accommodation for 377.

They served from 16 March 1917 to 28 March 1919.

This from "HOSPITAL SHIPS and AMBULANCE TRAINS" in the local Library.

Best wishes

Sotonmate

• 11 months later...

Hi

Sorry to jump in on this thread but

My attenion was drawn to this by a questuion posted in another area regarding my grandad being sent home after an injury.

Am I right in thinking (after looking at this thread) that there are some records of who was on the ships during 1918??

Thanks

Andrew

hi , she was built at COCKERILL YARD HOBOKEN BELGIUM,

http://www.geocities.com/kevinmollet/Compa...of_the_rmt.html

hope it helps a little. tony

update

http://www.faktaomfartyg.se/pieter_de_coninck_1910.htm photos on site .

post-16856-1194538398.jpg

• 12 years later...
3 hours ago, Mike Power said:

Does HS Peter De Coninck still exist? 

No, she was broken up in 1932.

• 2 years later...

Researching Driver Colin Weston, 22 yrs 1919, L-26394 Royal Field Artillery wounded in action France 14.12.1917.       Injured by shelling, compound fracture of jaw.    Transported to England from 1st Canadian General Hospital, Etaples, per H.S. Pieter de Coninck on 31-12-1917.     Recovered after surgery, losing 8 teeth and unable to eat solid food for some time.   Was despatched on 27.9.18 for coal mining duties!    Had been a miner before WW1.     Received S.W.B. B111527.    

Further to last post Dvr. Colin Weston was admitted to hospital in France on 27 May 1916 with "pleurisy with effusion".   Transferred to England on 5 June 1916 per "H.S. S.S. Jan Breydal" which presumably was a sister Belgian ship to H.S. "Pieter de Coninck".

• 1 month later...
On 08/11/2007 at 09:46, watchman said:

Hi

Sorry to jump in on this thread but

My attenion was drawn to this by a questuion posted in another area regarding my grandad being sent home after an injury.

Am I right in thinking (after looking at this thread) that there are some records of who was on the ships during 1918??

Thanks

Andrew

Hello Andrew

I am aware that your post is some 16 years old!  However, here goes...........

I am also researching details of a relative, wounded (Gassed) and sent back to the UK on 30/6/18 aboard the SS Pieter de Conink.

Did you get any help / direction from your request for help?

Thanks

Dave

19 minutes ago, alf mcm said:

Thank you for your prompt response to my request, Alf.  I look forward to 'interrogating' it!

Thank you Alf, I found the entry in the War Diary that matched my relatives service record, another piece of the jigsaw in place!