Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Yomping 1914 style

Roy Evans

Extract from the 2nd South Staffordshire War Diary

"It may be of interest to note that between the 21st August and the 5th Sept 1914, both dates inclusive, the Brigade marched a distance of 236 miles in 16 days with only one days halt during this period.The average number of miles marched per day was 15.7"

Is this a record?

thats exactly what we are doing at mons next year.

about 15 miles a DAY.

thats exactly what we are doing at mons next year.

about 15 miles a DAY.

With full kit and rifle?

yeah all 61 Ids of it.

we do have a ww1 bus. just cant fit 100 people on it.

Of course you can.

The world record, set in 1999, was broken when 25 people were crammed into a Mini Cooper - and that's a lot smaller than a London Bus (even one of WW1 vintage). :rolleyes:

In my days of serious long distance backpacking I did that much in a day some times at high altitude with a lot of climbing. Have walked clear across Yellowstone twice and a longer one than that IN BC and Alberta. However my pack was never over 40 pounds, had modern boots, had enough food though freeze dried after first night, never had to walk on pavement, could rest when I wanted and was absolutely never shot at!

In other words 15 miles in a day is not a big deal for a young man in good shape, but that's in good conditions. Still, my joke with my mate every year, first night areound the fire in the wilderness, " Lightning ( cause he talked so slow ), why don't we just stay home next year and pay somebody a couple of grand to beat the hell out of us!".

I never did that much in the army when even younger with their lousy boots, heavy tents etc, and carrying the rifle. You know what we really hated? Being ordered to put on that godawful rubber poncho, every one of us had rather be rained on.

we do have a ww1 bus. just cant fit 100 people on it.

Of course you can.

The world record, set in 1999, was broken when 25 people were crammed into a Mini Cooper - and that's a lot smaller than a London Bus (even one of WW1 vintage). :rolleyes:

I dont think the owners would like it. :blink:

I dont think the owners would like it. :blink:

Trenchie,

Tell them there's a war on :P

Is this a record?

I can't remember the exact stats, but I recall hearing that the record was actually in the Falklands in 1982, carrying a damn sight more than 61 Ibs (double it and then add some in some cases and also forget about roads, stick a pair of crap boots on and throw in some lousy weather!) between San Carlos and Port Stanley. This was done because of the loss of the Chinooks and other equipment on the RFA ship Atlantic Conveyor.

Incidentally, Marines "Yomp" and Paras "TAB" (Tactical Advance into Battle).

Dave.

Sorry Dave, can't allow that one.

Specifically 'Yomping 1914 style' but I will allow up to 1918, (It's my thread, I'll set the rules.)

Also, don't forget the 236 miles in 16 days.

Roy :)

I will allow up to 1918, (It's my thread, I'll set the rules.)

OK Roy, you're the boss!!! :P

Dave. :D

I didn't

The standard set by the Roman Army in Britain during the invasion and occupation in the 1st Century Ad was 20 roman miles which are a little bit less than the modern mile. They also had to build a mini-fort whenever they stopped before they cooked their own meals. Dont forget the M1,M2, and M6 were only a dream in a centurions mind. :P

Peter ;)

I have to agree with Paul; I don't think this is anything special. By way of comparison the West Higland Way is 92 miles long; it can be easily done in 5-6 days by anyone who is moderately fit.

If you want a military comparison General Wade built the Military Road between Newcastle and Carlisle, a distance of about 60 miles specifically to march troops between the two cities in the event of a Scottish invasion. The time alllowed for a forced march between the two cities for a soldier with full kit was under two days - well under.

Hedley,

To be frank, I have no idea whether in the context of the time, it was anything special or not but certainly the Lieutenant writing the war diary thought it worthy of comment. His thoughts may have been coloured by the weather, at least on some days “being extremely hot” and/or perhaps that on one afternoon they had to break off from the march to spend 4 or 5 hours in support trenches (where they came under heavy artillery fire), before continuing the march to billets.

I’ll always be happy the hear of quotations from other war diaries/histories 14-18 recording other performances.

Roy