Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HMS Formidable 1901

lindajb2002

Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help me please. I have found on the 1901 census that a Albert Edward Lardner, aged 13 was an Inmate on the HMS Formidable, Bristol. He was born in Wiggington, Oxon and his parents were John Thomas Lardner and Eliza Ann Davis.

What would Albert have been doing on the ship at such a young age?

What position would he have been?

Where did the ship go?

I can't find any further details about him, no death record etc.,

Hope you can shed some light on this dilema for me please.

Regards

Linda

Hi,

Thank you both for the sites you recommended, they are very interesting. Can anyone tell me how I can follow up on this to try and trace his movements while on the training ship, and if he did go on further to be in the regular navy?

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Linda

Hi,

Thanks for the information you have given me. I've searched high and low on all the ancestry sites for my ancestor, and the only time I can find him is in 1901 when he was 13 years old when he was a inmate on the Formidable. I can't find any death or marriage details whatsoever. This is getting to be a rather frustrating puzzle.

Regards

Linda

Linda,

Formidibles records are in Bristol, Give them a ring they may have something on him.

Bristol Record Office, 'B' Bond Warehouse, Smeaton Road, Bristol BS1 6XN. Holdings include: reports and records (1869-1906)

Regards Charles

Linda,

http://archives.bristol-city.gov.uk/

1 to 10 of 16 [Next >] [End >|]

Click on the number on the left to see a detailed catalogue entry.

RefNo Title Date

[ 1 ] 38087 National Nautical School

[ 2 ] 38087/NS/A3/4 Index of correspondents 1888 - 1892

[ 3 ] 38087/NS/X2/5 Typed extract from autobiography of a son of Henry Fedden referring to Training Ship `Formidable' n.d

[ 4 ] 38087/NS/X4/1 Small photograph of boys from the school on board the Training Ship `Formidable' 1871

[ 5 ] 38087/NS/X4/15 Small photographs of the `Formidable' and the `Polly' mounted n.d

[ 6 ] 38087/NS/X4/26 Photograph of figure head of `Formidable' 1935

[ 7 ] 38087/NS/X4/6 Boys of the Bristol Training Ship `Formidable' in the zoo gardens on Prize Day, July 15 (printed in annual reports for 1902, 1903, 1904) n.d

[ 8 ] 38087/NS/X4/7 Copies of sketch of National Nautical School to replace the `Formidable' (printed in annual report, 1903) n.d

[ 9 ] 39903 Volume of presscuttings relating to Mr [James] Greenwood's choir (founded 1870) 1872 - 1877

[ 10 ] 40097/PH Photographs

[|< Start] [< Prev] 11 to 16 of 16

Click on the number on the left to see a detailed catalogue entry.

RefNo Title Date

[ 11 ] 40556/18 Article on the training ship 'Formidable' 1883

[ 12 ] 42054.C.Drawer 5/180 Plan Of Sites Considered Position Of HMS Formidable 12/02/1901

[ 13 ] 42054.C.Drawer 5/181 Plan Of Sites Considered Position Of HMS Formidable 12/02/1901

[ 14 ] Bk/808 HMS Formidable: The Story of the Bristol training ship Photocopy available

[ 15 ] Pamphlet/1820 The log book of the Society of the Ship Lovers of the City and Port of Bristol

[ 16 ] Xeroxes of documents not in BRO/114

• 10 months later...

Hi,

An update on Albert Edward Lardner and to thank all of you for leading me in the right direction to find this man.

I wrote to Bristol Records Office to find out what happened to Albert. It appears that Albert at the age of 13 was sent to the nautical training school as he was found begging in his home village and his punishment was to go to the training school.

Albert spent 3 years there and then was released and on his papers it just states that he was taking up employment with friends. Who his friends where I don't know as the friends names were not documented.

After his release from the nautical training school, I have lost track of him. He may have died in his early 20's, but a death record I've found on BMD needs verifying by a death certificate.

Thanks again in helping to solve this trail of family history

Best wishes

Linda